Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:55 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,335,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaLeeBlues View Post
I was wondering if any of you here have ever bought or know someone who bought land and did not develop or improve it but rather just every now and then parked an RV on it for vacation purposes. I could see buying some land somewhere in lieu of buying something like a time-share, where I would camp and do the minimal requirements to keep the land out of the taxman's seizure.
Happens all the time in my area. We get quite a few folks who just want to enjoy the land and not "do anything with it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:48 AM

286 posts, read 1,368,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I remember looking at someplace like that too ...

Until I realized how far you actually are from civilization - including no cell phone reception, electric, natural gas, internet, etc. I've heard wells are hard/expensive to dig, the wind will kill you and the snow will bury you.

Other than that ... cheap paradise!
There's a problem with that???? No utilities means no bills... no meter readers to disturb your peace... I'll use wifi and build my own antenna. Water? I'll dig a well. Fence? I'll build one out of trees that are on my land... solor/wind power, no problem in WYO!

sounds like a great place to me! j/k, of course. but the idea is partly intriguing... LOL

Old 10-08-2009, 10:51 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,309,099 times
I'd recommed the Puna district of the Big Island of Hawaii--with one caveat: airfare to reach your camp site.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:20 AM

90 posts, read 209,851 times
I've thought about this too. Buy some acreage out in Litchfield County now so that later in life when I can afford to, I can readily build a home without having to look for land. Then yknow, if I change my mind or things in life change, I can go ahead and sell it (likely for a profit). I feel like people do that all the time, or atleast inherit land and do nothing with it, and I don't think I've ever heard of people having an issue with the town. The thing is, isn't it expensive to do perc testing, and get wetland approval, and find out if it's even buildable?!

Old 10-10-2009, 11:58 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,745,853 times
Quote:
Just a warning - it can be EXTREMELY expensive to bring in utilities.

True story ... my inlaws parents were the last holdouts in the middle of a semi-large Chicago suburb. They had their own well and septic, several acres, farm house, barn - you know those wacky places that you run across sometimes that just doesn't fit. And literally, there was a restaurant 15 feet away from their front porch.

The cost to bring city water? (Just city water - not sewer - and just to bring it to the property line NOT tie it in to their existing plumbing.)

$30,000.

Cha-ching. And that was, oh, 20 years ago.

They had well water till they died.
Wow, sounds just like my family's old place in Hinsdale! They had well water also, somehow the farm plot ended up on unincorporated land, surrounded by "civilization" but to have city water put in would've been WAY more than it was worth.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:51 PM

359 posts, read 1,120,801 times
I too am looking for property to purchase for my son (after I find our new home) and hold on to it so that someday he can build on it and use it with his buddies for hunting. My Dad did this right after he got our of the war and has 40 acres in Mid Michigan and 14 acres of lakefront property thats all built up except for his property. My brothers and sons enjoy going there.

They say it is really cheap right now and after I find the domicile of my dreams, I intend to finds the squatting land (that perks) with some water just in case he wants to build. Lord knows when the economy finally does come back, most of these kids won't have the opportunities like we have now so I might as well go for it. Just don't know which part of the state to choose. Most all of northern michigan is beautiful so if anyone out there has any suggestions as to the best place to hunt/fish...pass it on! No more than 3 hours from the Detroit area and nothing touristy like Houghton Lake or Traverse City. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:28 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,534,926 times
Because of land regulations here, there are many rural pieces of land you can only do that on, because they have what are called wetlands, etc., even if it's in fact dry.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:29 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,216,999 times
--If --one wants electricity, living far off the road or living on a road that the electric poles aren't near, will cost a bundle.

Gone are the days that electric companies will put poles and wire to your place for free if you don't live close to existing electric lines.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:29 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,534,926 times
Quote:
I remember looking at someplace like that too ...

Until I realized how far you actually are from civilization - including no cell phone reception, electric, natural gas, internet, etc. I've heard wells are hard/expensive to dig, the wind will kill you and the snow will bury you.

Other than that ... cheap paradise!
Many people buy remote properties like that, to get away from all that stuff bothering them, either permanently or for vacations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate