Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,384,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most structures build before a specific code do not have to be brought to code unless there is a potential safety issue involved.
I live in PA. My house was built in 1971. The codes back then did not require:
-a finished garage ceiling
-fire proof door between garage and main living area
-smoke alarms on every level of house and one in each bedroom

I was told I NEED to bring my house up to code prior to selling...so all those things I listed, I had to do in order to sell my house.

It sounds like a lot of things he mentioned that are not up to code are safety issues and will need to be brought up to code by the seller!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:43 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,597,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
...If this place were in top condition, what would it be worth in the current market?
Great question. How does the price you offered compare to other homes in the area? If it was well below market for similar homes in good condition, then seller may already have accounted for the issues you found. If not, then you have more reason to negotiate the repair costs. You should discuss with your agent if you are working with one.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:21 PM

311 posts, read 1,020,995 times
The average price for a 3 BR ranch in my area is anywhere from $320-$340K. This is for Centereach NY, on Long Island

Old 09-28-2009, 07:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,513,820 times
On the "grain of salt" scale the VAST majority of that list is about: http://bucketloader.com/myimages/DSCF0667%20jill%27s%20hsm%20salt%20lick%20copy.jpg (broken link)

Did this master of structural engineering say WHY the deck had to be torn down? Lack of proper piers? Lack of proper attachment to existing structure? Failed joists? ANYTHING?

Does Mr. X-Ray vision know what sort of window installation was used? Maybe the windows are cheap or poorly installed -- very different than saying they are the tell tale sign of failing deck...

Why does the house need to be upgraded to 200 Amp service? Does it have an overloaded system? Is the place in need of A/C or some other high amperage circuit?

POTENTIAL anything on a property inspection means "I AM TOO STUPID AND LAZY TO ACTUALLY CHECK THIS SO I AM GOING TO THROW IT ON THE LIST ON SCARE THE PANTS OFF EVERYONE"! I could say "lack of orbital data analysis leads to potential of space debris crashing into house... If this wonder boy has some EVIDENCE lets see it!

When it comes to insulation and whole heck of a lot of other stuff there is a WORLD of difference between "If you was building this house today you'd use X inches of Z" and saying "NEEDS to have blahtityy blah...

Does this inspector have access to the municipal records? How do they know the the place was not built with full permits / insepections?

Is the grading issue recent or on-going?

Again with the "MUST" -- just like when some unsuspecting elderly woman takes her car into the shop and the "big show" service writer puts on the whole "LADY, you CAN'T DRIVE IT LIKE THIS!!!" before charging her $5000 for all new phlam-shooters and Jorgensen Knuckles...

What the heck is "make shift" wiring? If this is some main junction box that looks like it is a experiment in "how to make house blow up real good" that is one thing, but quite another if this merely refers to an outlet added in a less professional way.

I really the "3 years" -- what if we have 36 months of incredibly MILD weather, that time line still carved in STONE? What about the other way, if we have 36 months of record breaking heat, cold, wind and precip? Would it not be better to identify the type of roof, specify that this generally warrantied for 15 years and had approximately 1/4 of life remaining???

Where I live, and most other towns that I here about, the electrical service is the responsibility of the UTILITY company -- they hack the heck out of trees on about a three year cycle.

I am sure that if the master bath had an electrical outlet the SUPER GENIUS would measure to the millimeter that it is too close to tub even if had a GFCI or was too far off the floor or too near the door or SOMETHING. Gotta prove how "I KNOW EVERYTHING"...

Extension cord requires REWIRING? Obviously the "make shift wiring" did not extend to putting an outlet smack over the opener...

I wonder what a "main toilet" is compared to an "auxiliary toilet"? I wonder if the "active leak" was due to the bladder master having his own aim off? If not I what the odds are that $3 wax ring is needed...

Cess pool "close to needed to be replaced" -- sorta like washed up scary man inspector is "close to retirement"... Really? Got that perfect X-Ray vision, checked the receipts for volume of semi-solids pumped out, checked the perc field, the soil types, etc... Gimme a break...

Now maybe the inspector was professional and measured in their detailed written report and this was a combo of the 'telephone game' and the "bullet point disease" but in my experience the sort of summary here is exactly what the unspecific, not very detailed "inspection service" will use to put FEAR into the home buyer and hope that their fee is more than recovered by the paniced seller eager to make concessions...

Not all that useful!

Much better to have a much more thorough and HONEST exposition of "here is what I found" and perhaps "here is what the best case scenario should be" for all the various systems. If that was delivered then the OP did loose a lot in 'translation'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate