Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:18 PM

125 posts, read 739,281 times

Advertisements

Here is the scenario. Hubby's transfer to Florida came through. Our house has been on the market through Nexthome for 7 weeks. Not a lot of activity coming to the house; lots of web site hits. Houses on both sides of me are for sale by Howard Hanna. Big difference in prices; one is 114900, one is 124900 and mine is 159900 - and they are different in sizes, the smallest being the cheapest.

I've done eveything I can think of to get people in the house - flyers hung in stores, cars and mail. Even circling the house and dog earring the page in the Nexthome book and putting the books back in the rack hoping people will go to the dogearred pages!

Anyone have anything else creative? I really want to go to Florida with hubby, but have to sell the house first.

What is average days on the market for Avon Lake OHio? anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 05:23 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,330,289 times
Just curious - why is your home priced so much higher? Is it alot larger and alot nicer? Also, is your home listed in the MLS and on Realtor. com? If your home is priced too high compared with other similar homes, it will be tough to get it sold no matter how many flyers you post.

Wish I could help you with your question about average Days on Market there in Ohio. I don't know if we have any realtors on the forum from that area or not. You might try the Ohio forum and see if anybody can help you out.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:31 PM

Yes, it is on the MLS and realtor.com My house is 1800 sq feet. The low end house is 900, the middle is 1000. The other houses are on slabs, mine has a full finished basement with wet bar and wood burning stove. I also have an above ground pool, 2 and 1/2 car garage, 3 season porch.... Yes, mine is larger and nicer. About the same age as the other 2 as well.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:35 PM

Hi 12Paws - definitely sounds like your home is priced right compared to the other 2. Big difference between 1000sf home and 1800sf home. One last question - are there other homes in the neighborhood that are as large and nice as yours, or are you surrounded by a lot of small sq ftg homes?

Old 05-03-2007, 06:43 PM

Default bigger

I'd have to say that 40% of the homes are my size, while 60% of the homes are the smaller ones. I live near Lake Erie in Ohio, and our subdivision used to be summer cottage homes for the city dwellers YEARS and YEARS ago - so more of the homes are of the smaller end -but again probably 40% are my size.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Well, then, it doesn't sound like your home is "over-improved" or much larger than other homes in the area. It then boils down to possibly the marketing of your home or a slow real estate market in your area. (See my comments on your other thread.)

The only other thing I can think of that's not related to those two things is curb appeal. Some homes are "sleepers". They look so much nicer on the inside and are so much bigger than what they appear from the street.

Last edited by Gretchen B; 05-03-2007 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 05-03-2007, 07:43 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,279,763 times
Take advantage of those coming to look at your neighbor's houses by printing up flyers with details and pictures of your house and placing them somewhere out front of your house so that people can take them. Don't be surprised if they want to view it right then and there.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:58 AM

I've done just that; I was hoping for that as a matter of fact. They flyers are printed and they even say on them to knock, and if we are home we will show it!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,504 times
Default selling house

Try to sell your house on EBAY, no kidding. I sold a $400,000 house in a terrible slow market.( my gorgeous home had sat unsold for a year!) A real estate developer from L.A. bought it. I had many photos. Wish I had thought of this earlier instead of dealing with realtors. I still had a realtor friend do the paperwork, for legal reasons, I would never do it alone. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,068,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade love View Post
Try to sell your house on EBAY, no kidding. I sold a $400,000 house in a terrible slow market.( my gorgeous home had sat unsold for a year!) A real estate developer from L.A. bought it. I had many photos. Wish I had thought of this earlier instead of dealing with realtors. I still had a realtor friend do the paperwork, for legal reasons, I would never do it alone. Hope this helps and good luck!
What did it cost to do E-bay? Was it difficult to do? I buy on E-bay all the time. Never sold anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate