Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 15 days ago)

16,129 posts, read 21,271,956 times

Advertisements

Small, ranch.
Babyboomers are going to be hitting their peak in the next decade or so, lot of them are going to want/need to downsize into smaller one story homes when they hit retirement. I think it would be safe to say that a lot of us don't even wait that long. We are downsizing as soon as the kids leave the nest.
I think a two story mostly eliminates a significant portion of potential future buyers, if you plan on reselling later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 04:21 PM

15 posts, read 42,985 times
Default A big thank you

A big thank you to all of you!

Finally I am closing on a home which is small (1900 sqft) and ranch home. At least I am confident that me and my wife will be living happily in this home for another decade

Old 09-08-2009, 05:11 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,155,658 times
Sounds great! I am glad you are happy

(I don't think 1900 sqft is all that small)

Old 09-12-2009, 02:53 PM

345 posts, read 1,080,625 times
I'm currently under contract for my first home in TX. I was adamant that I would not live in a one-story home; I wouldn't even look at them. Then something happened; my 7 month old started crawling and pulling up! I tell ya, a one-story home never looked so good

So now I'm under contract for a one-story, 2000 sq foot ranch home. As my boys (I also have a 4yo) get bigger, I'll eventually get a two-story but I couldn't feel better about my decision!

Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,926,511 times
I need to spread out, so got a 1.5 story house with a finished basement (3 levels of living). Will be great for the when the family starts to grow. There is a full bath and bedroom on the main floor where the kitchen/dining/lliving/laundry is, so one could just stay on the main floor if needed.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,390,954 times
I am young and fit and I did not want a two-story house because I have lived in them before and hated lugging buckets of water and vacuum cleaners up and down the stairs, plus vacuuming/sweeping stairs is a pain in the butt!!!

The house I bought in July is 1820 square feet and is one of the larger houses on this street. Houses in this neighborhood sell well (average 97% of asking price) and quickly if they meet the following conditions:

They have a 2-car garage, attached is preferable to detached.
They have 3+ bedrooms.
They have 2+ bathrooms.
At least one of the baths is a full bath with bathtub.
The layout has not been changed to the point where it is weird.
The house still has the original frontage (some don't)
Mechanics of the house are in good shape.
The price is right; right now this neighborhood is averaging about $110 per square foot.

If a house meets those criteria, it usually sells very quickly, i.e. less than a month. If it is deficient in one of those categories, it can take a long time to sell.

The house I bought did not have a garage when I closed on it. The house had one when it was originally built but it was converted into living space 40+ years ago. Since it had been originally built as a garage, converting it back into one was not expensive or time-consuming. A friend and I did about 50% of the work ourselves with the actual wall demolition and door installation left to professionals. We tore up the floor, re-did the electrical wiring, and installed the actual garage door opener. The cost overall with labor and materials was around $1700, I think.

This house sat on the market for six months prior to selling. The mistakes the sellers made were:

Pricing it too high to begin with.
Making unnecessary changes to market the house (covering original hardwoods with new carpet, replacing original light fixtures with new ones that don't match the current hardware).
Outdated kitchen appliances/countertops.
No garage (this was the major one).

The president of my neighborhood association is also a realtor and had a look at this house just before it went on the market. She and I spoke when I bought the house and she agreed with all four of the above points. She was kind of funny when she complained about one of the sellers refusing to listen to her...she said, "What do I know, I have only lived in this neighborhood my entire life and I only sell houses for a living." Hahaha! Priceless.

But I am getting off-topic. The point I am trying to make is that this neighborhood is full of older, smaller, mainly one-story traditional ranch style houses and it is very popular with a wide range of buyers.

If a one-story smaller house is what you want then by all means buy it. Some people want a square footage factory with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances in a treeless suburb where the HOA dictates everything they can and cannot do with their own property. Others are not looking for that.

Also, please keep in mind that if you buy a house that is bigger than what you want, you will still have to clean all that excess square footage. You will be taxed on that excess square footage. You will have to pay to heat and cool that excess square footage. It is your money and you are an adult; buy the house that you think will make you happy.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:38 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,016,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Sounds great! I am glad you are happy

(I don't think 1900 sqft is all that small)
Nope, it's not that small. My house is about 1100 s.f.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate