Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM

71 posts, read 430,271 times

Advertisements

I'm under contract to buy a house with cash only. I didn't ask the sellers for any closing costs. Now I'm trying to figure out what kinds of costs I will incur and how much they are, but my Realtor is being no help. I don't want to show up to closing and find out that the title company decided to charge me 50% more than normal, because they knew I could afford it, and my Realtor really wants me to use his title company (which is in the same office building as him.)

I know my Realtor told the sellers of the house I'm buying that the "Inspection turned out fine and we planned on moving forward" before I even talked to him about it! I wouldn't be surprised if he said something idiotic to the title company as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM

29 posts, read 127,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyDaysForever View Post
I'm under contract to buy a house with cash only. I didn't ask the sellers for any closing costs. Now I'm trying to figure out what kinds of costs I will incur and how much they are, but my Realtor is being no help. I don't want to show up to closing and find out that the title company decided to charge me 50% more than normal, because they knew I could afford it, and my Realtor really wants me to use his title company (which is in the same office building as him.)

I know my Realtor told the sellers of the house I'm buying that the "Inspection turned out fine and we planned on moving forward" before I even talked to him about it! I wouldn't be surprised if he said something idiotic to the title company as well.
Hi, what kind sales is it ? a conventional one or a short sale ? it will help determine an accurate response...........

Old 08-04-2009, 01:55 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
I have bought my last 2 houses with cash. Closing costs have been a couple hundred dollars each time.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:07 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
It depends what the contract says.

Who is paying for the title search and title insurance?

Are taxes paid in arrears where you are or not? This could either mean a credit to you or a cost to you.

Did you ask your agent what the closing costs were?

Old 08-04-2009, 05:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Some municipalities charge the buyer a transfer tax.

Your agent, by law, cannot benefit from a referral to a title company.

You agent should be able to give you a decent estimate of your closing costs, now. If not, call the Managing Broker in his/her office.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:49 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,197,930 times
I am jumping in here with just a quick post... ask who is the TITLE COMPANY that is closing for you and get them to give you the HUD closing estimate. If not a Title company ask the attoney who is closing to give you a complete list of everything.. DONT CLOSE WITHOUT IT and go through all the fees. In todays closings the fees are negotiable on either side. As a cash buyer from a homeowner what does your contract say you are paying? LOOK and read it! Someone not giving you what you are paying is unacceptable. Closing fees for a cash sale can vary if you are paying for title etc.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 PM

71 posts, read 430,271 times
Ok, I requested charges (I did this at the same time as posting my first message.)

Here they are:
Broker Commission Flat Fee $345
Settlement or Closing Fee $225
Title Exam $140
Title Insurance Premium $852.75
Recording Fees $46
Recording Services Fees $25

It looks like I'm paying the Title/Closing company about $1300. Which seems like a lot, but it is hard to say. ($235k, Minnesota)

Now, here's my big question. If in my Real Estate Agent Contract, it says that he is only being paid 3% and no fee, is this "Broker Commission Flat Fee" a bogus charge?

Last edited by CloudyDaysForever; 08-07-2009 at 01:36 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 01:39 PM

29 posts, read 127,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyDaysForever View Post
Ok, I requested charges (I did this at the same time as posting my first message.)

Here they are:
Broker Commission Flat Fee $345
Settlement or Closing Fee $225
Title Exam $140
Title Insurance Premium $852.75
Recording Fees $46
Recording Services Fees $25

It looks like I'm paying the Title/Closing company about $1300. Which seems like a lot, but it is hard to say. ($235k, Minnesota)

Now, here's my big question. If in my Real Estate Agent Contract, it says that he is only being paid 3% and no fee, is this "Broker Commission Flat Fee" a bogus charge?
Everything else seems extremely reasonable with the exception of the broker
that needs to make their mind up about accepting a commission vs a flat fee.

It's either one or the other........

p.s. Since you are paying cash and this realtor seems to be uncooperative
I would suggest a point reduction in their commission and/or have the seller
contribute towards the closing, since you are doing them a favor by
paying up with cash. Good luck

Last edited by loss.mitigation; 08-07-2009 at 02:33 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 06:49 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,197,930 times
Quote:
p.s. Since you are paying cash and this realtor seems to be uncooperative
I would suggest a point reduction in their commission and/or have the seller
contribute towards the closing, since you are doing them a favor by
paying up with cash. Good luck

WHY would you suggest that pay cash is doing the Real Estate agent a "FAVOR" and it's ok to ask them to cut their commission!!!! Both the agent and the Seller still gets their money no matter if you do cash or a mortgage.

Yes, find out about which "fee" is what they are getting but what I see in his statement is the Broker is getting ONLY $345 which means the AGENT is getting lots less than that plus he/she pays taxes on what they DO get and pay all their own expenses in finding someone a house.
Gimme a break here!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:11 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,689 times
I appologize if someone already offerred this but here goes. Title insurance, that is the lender's portion, will not be required in a cash deal. It's up to you whether you want to take the risk and not have buyer's coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate