Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:04 AM

166 posts, read 829,339 times

Advertisements

so, we close on Thursday. The inspection came up with minor repairs to be done. We got them fixed. Now we are in the middle of packing to move into our apartment on Mon/Tues. Our realtor spoke with the buyer's realtor, who said the buyer wants to come in and inspect the repairs himself and to keep the house in order so that he can do it. I told our realtor that it is really inconvenient in the middle of packing to have this done and to arrange it so that the buyer can come the day before the closing if he HAS to do it ( they are going to do the walk through the day of closing as well). Realtor tells me that is not possible, since if there is some thing that needs to b rectified then we might get the time to do it before closing.

Well, today is Saturday. Either way, if he does come up with something, we will not be able to get it taken care of before Thursday. Can you tell this is stressing me out??? The house is in utter chaos, complete mess - and now there will be someone walking around the boxes and stuff lying all around? This is bothering me. What do you all think?

Last edited by mcbeth01; 08-01-2009 at 06:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 06:49 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,164,362 times
What does your contract say? In my area, contracts usually allow for a final walk through the day before closing. It sounds like your buyers want that walk through plus another one. If the other one is not specified in your contract I would tell them that you don't mind but it will have to be at a time that is convenient for you. The title of your post references a 2nd walk through before inspection-I assume you meant before close.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
What does your contract say? In my area, contracts usually allow for a final walk through the day before closing. It sounds like your buyers want that walk through plus another one. If the other one is not specified in your contract I would tell them that you don't mind but it will have to be at a time that is convenient for you. The title of your post references a 2nd walk through before inspection-I assume you meant before close.
Gbone, thank you for the advice. Yes, you are right, I meant walk through before close. I will have my realtor let them know that Wednesday will work for us and not before then. The thing was, that my realtor was trying to tell us that we HAVE to do this, this is the standard procedure...and to us, if they are doing a walk through before closing, why come in for another inspection one day before the actual one? It means tremendous inconvenience for us and I am a bit miffed our realtor is basically agreeing to everything they are saing and not understanding our point...

Old 08-01-2009, 09:05 AM

15,608 posts, read 40,550,107 times
In Oregon a repair check the day before closing probably wouldn't fly. We have a specific date that the repairs need to be completed by and then the buyer can verify the repairs. Out here, I would be all over my sellers who wouldn't allow a repair check until the day before close. If they don't agree that the repairs were done correctly you aren't closing on Thursday. Why in the world would you want to create even more stress for yourself? There is no reason for your house to be clean a week before moving so the buyer can check the repairs.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,039,291 times
I would always have the repairs inspected ;no big deal.Would you have reapi9rs done and then not inspect them?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I would always have the repairs inspected ;no big deal.Would you have reapi9rs done and then not inspect them?
Well, I expect them to them to the inspection. They were told everything is done about 1.5 weeks ago. Not, two days before we move AND three days before the closing, the buyer wants to come over and do the inspection again. My point is, come on Wednesday and do it, just not while we are packing and moving.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:38 PM

45,595 posts, read 60,922,955 times
I've never heard of this. Could they be looking for a closing table concession or to totally bail out? I asked a realtor friend and he said said he'd never heard of it either-that certification of repairs is usually adequate.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,920,504 times
Or it could simply be a case that the buyers want to take some measurements so they can go buy window treatments that can be put in the day they move in.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Or it could simply be a case that the buyers want to take some measurements so they can go buy window treatments that can be put in the day they move in.
Nope, that is not it. They came last weekend, to check out the house again and discuss wall colours, so I think that was out of the way.

I feel he really does not have anything to do...being already in the area and his house having been sold, and to him, doing a pre-walkthrough is not a bad idea, he is a handyman and just checking this out. I think I am more annoyed that my realtor wants me clean up the house, then be prepared to stop doing whatever we are doing, these last two days of hectic packing AND juggling kids and work, and leave the house while the buyers do a walkthrough one day before the main walk through. Just does not make any sense...

Old 08-01-2009, 05:50 PM

15,608 posts, read 40,550,107 times
I'm confused. So they inspected the repairs to confirm that they were done already and now want to reinspect the repairs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate