Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,613,009 times

Advertisements

Appraisers are not inspectors. Determining the remaining life or the actual "need" for a new roof is beyond the scope of an appraisal in most instances. Likewise, we usually don't flush each toilet, turn on the AC in the winter and the heat in summer, check for leaks in the plumbing, etc.. That is the purpose of an INSPECTOR.

However, if a roof is obviously in shoddy condition and there are signs of roof leaks, we will note that in the report and make an appropriate allowance for "deferred maintenance". Anyone in their right mind should have a qualified inspector look at a property they are intending to put a contract on.

Also, inspectors do not do appraisals. Just in case you expected them to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:54 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Appraisers are not inspectors. Determining the remaining life or the actual "need" for a new roof is beyond the scope of an appraisal in most instances. Likewise, we usually don't flush each toilet, turn on the AC in the winter and the heat in summer, check for leaks in the plumbing, etc.. That is the purpose of an INSPECTOR.

However, if a roof is obviously in shoddy condition and there are signs of roof leaks, we will note that in the report and make an appropriate allowance for "deferred maintenance". Anyone in their right mind should have a qualified inspector look at a property they are intending to put a contract on.

Also, inspectors do not do appraisals. Just in case you expected them to.
Maybe I wasn't clear in what I was asking, as I don't think an apprasier does an inspector's job or vice-versa. The whole time I have felt that the appraiser gives a value of the property at a point in time, he/she isn't there to say whether something works or not, hence I had an inspection done.

I wasn't blaming anyone for the jobs they did, I think they all did fine jobs in their respective fields.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:43 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If the seller could have afforded a whole new roof I suspect they would have done that a long time ago -- you can't really expect them to cough up dough for something they won't use.
It would be like asking someone selling a used car to put on new tires!
Now if the car literally had flat tire I would expect that the seller would get that patched.
The way to deal with missing shingles is to replace them, not put on whole new roof.
When I buy a used car and the tires are worn out,I tell the saleman you can knock $400 off the price right now,because I would need to buy tires.Same if I am buying a house with a worn out roof.Knock off $10,000 for a new roof.
I just laugh when someone says they need a new roof and they are asked"is it leaking?"......if its leaking THATS WAY TOO LATE.......DUH.then its thosands more to replace ceilings,floors and walls.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,384 times
$10,000 for a new roof? What is this, a mansion? And whose word are taking?

The issue at hand is that the Seller's Agent told the Buyer that the roof was fine. The Inspector nsaid it wasn't. That is what needs to be sorted out.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post

The issue at hand is that the Seller's Agent told the Buyer that the roof was fine. The Inspector nsaid it wasn't. That is what needs to be sorted out.
As the OP surmised, if the roof was TOTALLY SHOT there is almost no way any appraiser would not have noticed that just from looking at it when they drove up or seeing the obvious signs of leaks as they walked the property (if in fact that happened...).

From what I gather the INSPECTOR found some damage to portions of the roof that the inspector noted should be address soon.

The issue is whether the SELLER ought to respond with a shiny new roof or address the need for some repairs.

My contention is that the cost of some repairs is REASONABLE, just as I believe it would be entirely reasonable for someone selling a tired old car (remember this is house that everyone agrees could benefit from some upgrades, not a place that is all spiffy and ready to splash the cover of House Beautiful...) could be compelled to patch a tire and put some air in, but not put new rubber all the way around anymore than a $10K roof is really the right solution. I suppose if you subscribe to the "certified used car department of a luxury label" you would expect new rubber, but from the rest of the description this sound more like the kind of house that if it was a car you'd spot on a bulletin board at the auto parts store "Solid runner, A/C is cold, not gonna win any concurs shows, but with TLC will make the right owner happy. $3695 OBO" emphasis on the "OBO" and then you find out that the A/C is COLD but the fan only works on "high & off" ....

Last edited by chet everett; 07-23-2009 at 10:14 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 10:19 AM

OK, gotcha.

Well, it appears that your previous suggestion was the most reasonable.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:45 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,523 times
So, it is all sorted out, they took my final offer.

BTW, the house is 20 years old and in a very nice area. Probably 5 years ago the house was a real nice looking place, but the owner decided to do no maintenance right at the time that everything needed maintenance. The house still looks nice at first glance, but then after going through the house lots of little things pop up that show neglect...rot along windows and doors, gashes in the walls, the deck needs sanding and painting, missing grout in foyer, etc. All these things are easily fixed with some time and effort, but don't show the house well.

Then, they tried to make it look better by installing really cheap carpet and painting the whole interior that chalky white that you find in rentals. That just doesn't fly in a nicer neighborhood, I think it turns off more buyers, as it looks cheap and creates more questions.

In any case, it really does need a new roof especially on the south side (back), the north side looks acceptable, but the back has serious issues.

At lunch today I was walking through the neighborhood near work and I saw a number of roofs with patch jobs to extend the life of the roof and I thought of this thread.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post

On an average size house,with tear off,replacement of plywood,new shingles etc. with labor,you would be lucky for 10,000.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 PM

We replaced our roof with a steel roof for under $2,500 ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate