Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:32 AM

766 posts, read 1,661,846 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am on Real Estate Agent #2. I am a first time homebuyer. Things just didn't work out with the first agent. I was supposed to sign with her when we first went out, but we never went out.

Agent #2 seemed really nice and knowledgeable initially. The same situation where I was supposed to sign with her the first time we went out. We never went out because she had something come up. I haven't heard anything from her all week. I get the daily MLS listing from her and that's all. I met with the broker I found through her this week. I had some questions so I called her yesterday. She e-mailed me some properties and said she would call me back. I haven't heard anything else from her and I noticed that today is the first day I haven't gotten my MLS listing. She is just seeming kind of disorganized and never really does what she says she will.

It has been around 3 weeks or so since I started this process with the first broker. I wonder if I should keep this broker who is her friend and look for another agent or what. I know at this point they shouldn't keep running my credit.

Am I expecting too much from the agents.

Any opinions I what I should do. This is the condensed version of what is going on.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:46 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,148,124 times
There's not enough information to give you advice one way or another. I have buyers with whom I have an understanding that I'll send them listings that fit their criteria and when they like one, they'll email or call me to set up a viewing appointment. There will be days when no new listing matching the search criteria comes on the market. I don't call my buyers every day to check if they liked anything I sent them. I don't like to work that way. If a buyer communicates that they want to hear from me on a daily basis, I will certainly comply. This needs to be discussed early on in the relationship so each party knows what to expect.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,892,316 times
Ideally, an agent should schedule an in office appointment with you for a first time buyer counseling session, to educate you, determine your needs/wants and timing and what you must do to put yourself in the best position to buy property.

I cannot imagine an agent asking you to sign an exclusive buyer's agent contract, based on a phone call inquiry. You don't know the agent and the agent does not know you.

If an agent can't be bothered to call you back at this stage, it's probably not going to get much better, going forward.

As an aside, real estate agents do not run credit reports on potential clients. With your approval, a lender will.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:46 PM

I did meet with the realtor in her office initially. I found out when from the receptionist at the office and the broker that she's never in her office. I left some of my paperwork there over a week ago and she never sent it to the realtor.

It's not just the fact that I haven't heard from her. It's that she schedules appointments and then cancels. Examples: We were supposed to go out last Saturday, but had to cancel.

She had some neighborhoods that she wanted to discuss with me. She said she would e-mail the properties to me and for me to call her back. I called back and then she never answered. She then e-mailed me back saying she would call me in 2 hours. It's 27 hours later and still no call.

I understand I am not her only client. I guess I just expect when someone says they're going to do something that they do it.

I just don't think should be a normal way to handle business. I don't think it is going to get any better either.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:18 PM

43,458 posts, read 77,442,213 times
Trust your gut on this incident:
"I left some of my paperwork there over a week ago and she never sent it to the realtor."

You have a great opportunity to talk to someone else while you decide, or she decides, if you are in business together.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:23 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,067,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
I did meet with the realtor in her office initially. I found out when from the receptionist at the office and the broker that she's never in her office. I left some of my paperwork there over a week ago and she never sent it to the realtor.

It's not just the fact that I haven't heard from her. It's that she schedules appointments and then cancels. Examples: We were supposed to go out last Saturday, but had to cancel.

She had some neighborhoods that she wanted to discuss with me. She said she would e-mail the properties to me and for me to call her back. I called back and then she never answered. She then e-mailed me back saying she would call me in 2 hours. It's 27 hours later and still no call.

I understand I am not her only client. I guess I just expect when someone says they're going to do something that they do it.

I just don't think should be a normal way to handle business. I don't think it is going to get any better either.
First, have you already signed a buyer agency contract with her? (sorry I couldn't determine, or didn't see, in your post) I do agree with Sandy that it's important at the initial meeting to clearly determine the needs and expectations of the clients - everyone has different needs. From reading your posts it appears there are a couple of issues here, the first being the apparant disorganization of the brokerage in general (i.e., you dropped off your paperwork and it was never sent to the realtor and you were told she is rarely in the office)

The second being scheduling appointments, then cancelling them - saying to call her then you leave VM and she says she'll call you in 2 hours and now you've been waiting 27 hours and still counting. Personally, and just going from what you've posted, I would not only look for another Realtor but another brokerage and one that works as a team. There are many of us who have busy offices and there are times when everyone is out in the field - happens in my offices and the transaction coordinator/assistant quite efficently handles walk-in clients, telephone inquiries, ensures everyone immediately gets paperwork dropped off, phone call messages, etc.

So JMO, I would look at interviewing not only another Realtor but one where the office is not so disorganized. Then, when you find the brokerage and Realtor that feels like a good fit, make sure they clearly know what your expectations are.

Last edited by JustJoy; 07-04-2009 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-04-2009, 05:47 PM

I meant to say she never faxed the paperwork to the broker.

No, I haven't signed a contract with her. We were supposed to do that the first time we went out.

The realtor said she was a broker, but then she recommended me to someone else. I don't know how typical this is.

You all are correct. At this point, I am wondering if this is just bad luck (not really) or if this is some sort of sign, lol.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:52 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,066,449 times
I find that many realtors are more about taking listings than making showings/sales...
agents who work on being multiple-listers get their cut by just bringing the listing into the office whether they actually sell that house or any other house...
they are busy finding out who is bringing house on the market, what the market comps are like

other realtors are show-ers--they actually take clients around for as long as it takes to find a house...
some buyers are very picky and take a long time to make a sale...if a buyer is in a relocation process, there is usually a shorter time frame for them ...usually RE agents who get the relo clients have put time in the field and have lots of experience/connections because Relos are considered top-catches since most of them are going to buy a house within a short time frame--guaranteed commission...

listing a house (if it sells before the contract is up) is a guaranteed win for the agent
driving people around showing them homes is not...

our realtor normally did only Relo work--she worked with us because a friend of ours referred us to her...she worked with us for two years off and on ... we were living local, buying local, and were in the market for house with some specific requirements...we made offers on three houses...two we were outbid on and one was under contract when the sellers took it off the market because of a child's illness...
most of the time, I was the one screening listings off MLS and sometimes weeks would go by without anything to view...so it is not like she was showing houses every day or week...and we were quick ...
sometimes we would know after opening the front door the house would not work for us...

I think you need another agent and I would not sign a contract to represent unless you find a house you want to offer for--that is what we did...the contract to represent lasts for a year here...so when the first house fell through, the contract was still in force...

Old 07-04-2009, 06:31 PM

43,458 posts, read 77,442,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I find that many realtors are more about taking listings than making showings/sales...
agents who work on being multiple-listers get their cut by just bringing the listing into the office whether they actually sell that house or any other house...
they are busy finding out who is bringing house on the market, what the market comps are like

other realtors are show-ers--they actually take clients around for as long as it takes to find a house...
some buyers are very picky and take a long time to make a sale...if a buyer is in a relocation process, there is usually a shorter time frame for them ...usually RE agents who get the relo clients have put time in the field and have lots of experience/connections because Relos are considered top-catches since most of them are going to buy a house within a short time frame--guaranteed commission...

listing a house (if it sells before the contract is up) is a guaranteed win for the agent
driving people around showing them homes is not...

our realtor normally did only Relo work--she worked with us because a friend of ours referred us to her...she worked with us for two years off and on ... we were living local, buying local, and were in the market for house with some specific requirements...we made offers on three houses...two we were outbid on and one was under contract when the sellers took it off the market because of a child's illness...
most of the time, I was the one screening listings off MLS and sometimes weeks would go by without anything to view...so it is not like she was showing houses every day or week...and we were quick ...
sometimes we would know after opening the front door the house would not work for us...

I think you need another agent and I would not sign a contract to represent unless you find a house you want to offer for--that is what we did...the contract to represent lasts for a year here...so when the first house fell through, the contract was still in force...
How do you advise the OP to go about documenting the agent's expected baseline compensation as required in North Carolina?
Also, in North Carolina, the representation agreement term is negotiable.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,303,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
Hi all,

I am on Real Estate Agent #2. I am a first time homebuyer. Things just didn't work out with the first agent. I was supposed to sign with her when we first went out, but we never went out.

Agent #2 seemed really nice and knowledgeable initially. The same situation where I was supposed to sign with her the first time we went out. We never went out because she had something come up. I haven't heard anything from her all week. I get the daily MLS listing from her and that's all. I met with the broker I found through her this week. I had some questions so I called her yesterday. She e-mailed me some properties and said she would call me back. I haven't heard anything else from her and I noticed that today is the first day I haven't gotten my MLS listing. She is just seeming kind of disorganized and never really does what she says she will.

It has been around 3 weeks or so since I started this process with the first broker. I wonder if I should keep this broker who is her friend and look for another agent or what. I know at this point they shouldn't keep running my credit.

Am I expecting too much from the agents.

Any opinions I what I should do. This is the condensed version of what is going on.

Thank you
In general, if something doesn't seem right, trust your instincts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate