Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
The statement below kind of paints a too rosey picture..

Over 10 years, a $10,000 investment in the stock market at a normal 10 percent market
rate of return would yield $23,600. The same investment as a down payment on a
$200,000 home at a normal appreciation rate of 5 percent would return nearly five times
the stock market return, at $110,300.

What 5% return are you referring too where has this happened?

Unfortunately you need to pay 1.5% in property taxes. 1% in upkeep and another 0.5% in insurance. So the 5% (which is not even accurate) is whiddled down to about 2%, that doesn't even beat inflation.

Also...

- 6% commission to sell
- Mortgage insurance
- Points to get mortgage and closing costs

Really your net profit is

(1.05)^10 *200,000 *(1-.06 commission to sell) - 0.03*200,000 * 10 - 40$*12*10 (PMI insurance) - 1,000 (closing costs) = 246,948

You are also paying interest on the mortgage...

YOU LOSE 31,000$ !!! at the end of 10 years. The above statement that you make 10x the amount in stocks is complete crap.
So put $40K down and get rid of the PMI. Live in Vegas and the Tax is .9%.Actually in Vegas and I suspect many places the equivalent cost of rent on a $240K house is about -$250. So you actually make $250 a month or for ten years $250*12*10 or an additional $30K savings over renting.

My view would be ignore the appreciation and be thankful if it should happen. But the $250 per month is real and bankable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:42 PM

469 posts, read 1,485,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMensch View Post
I'm not sure what is so wrong with what this document.... tell me what is wrong or dishonest about this...

prices are down
the $8K credit is good
interest rates are at record lows....

Realtors provide expertise in the market place... yes, some of us are better then others... but GOOD Realtors know markets

Realtors provide access to potential buyers and huge web presence that sellers can't get on their own...

Realtors give info on areas to buyers who are relocating and have no idea of where to start.

SO... What's wrong with the points in the memo????
NAR has blown it! The real estate market is changing rapidly and NAR is still stuck in the stone age. Not to mention telling flat lies about the bubble. Any half way descent economist knew that we had a bubble and prices could not continue to appreciate at the rate it was going. Anyone holding the title of economist at NAR is little more than a spin doctor. Recently NAR has backed up the MIBOR Realtor MLS in Indiana on a topic that if held to will damage the profitability of an agents business or it will bring further DOJ action.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:08 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,870,563 times
Quote:
YOU LOSE 31,000$ !!! at the end of 10 years. The above statement that you make 10x the amount in stocks is complete crap.
Also the above statement is using leverage to buy the home. Everyone knows that the more leverage you use the more risk. Meanwhile the stock example is not using leverage. The only way to be fair is if both examples used the same amount of leverage.

Quote:
NAR has blown it! The real estate market is changing rapidly and NAR is still stuck in the stone age. Not to mention telling flat lies about the bubble. Any half way descent economist knew that we had a bubble and prices could not continue to appreciate at the rate it was going. Anyone holding the title of economist at NAR is little more than a spin doctor. Recently NAR has backed up the MIBOR Realtor MLS in Indiana on a topic that if held to will damage the profitability of an agents business or it will bring further DOJ action.
No kiding. NAR is bogus. They are nothing but salesmen that is it! they'll tell you anything they want you to hear in order to get you to buy a home from them. I would do the same if I was making an outrageous 6% commission! It is a matter of time before NAR gets hit pretty bad. With services like redfin showing up offering significantly better deals than NAR. I just wish they would expand more. None the less though, the NAR is a down right greedy group their mission is to try and rip off as many people as possible. Never listen to an NAR realtor, ever.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+minutes&hl=en

Last edited by killer2021; 05-12-2009 at 08:46 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
I was surprised by how difficult it was to get reliable housing information, I kind of thought it would be as available as stock quotes. But it doesnt seem like it is compiled regularly, but I guess there is no incentive for someone to publish this information for free.
Real estate is a commodity- the market determines it's value. If a buyer can't buy this property, the buyer will buy another.

Yet, while every share of IBM is the same and thus fungible, no two properties are exactly alike.

Most national and city specific data is broad information representing averages, meaning half the sales fall above or below the average.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Also the above statement is using leverage to buy the home. Everyone knows that the more leverage you use the more risk. Meanwhile the stock example is not using leverage. The only way to be fair is if both examples used the same amount of leverage.

No kiding. NAR is bogus. They are nothing but salesmen that is it! they'll tell you anything they want you to hear in order to get you to buy a home from them. I would do the same if I was making an outrageous 6% commission! It is a matter of time before NAR gets hit pretty bad. With services like redfin showing up offering significantly better deals than NAR. I just wish they would expand more. None the less though, the NAR is a down right greedy group their mission is to try and rip off as many people as possible. Never listen to an NAR realtor, ever.

60 Minutes - Real estate, realtors, and the 6% commission - 2007.05.13
That is kind of a sad refrain. In actual fact brokerage commissions have gone up the last couple of years. And note that Redfin has cut its rebate by 50%.

Locally all the discount brokers have gone belly up. It is tough competiting in a market based on hgih volume when there is not high volume available.

And by the way given Leslie's view that commission should go down when the price goes up...should we not be raising commission as the price comes down?

Redfin survives but not by much. The model requires that they do in fact get multiple times more production per agent. Tough to do in this market.

Was fun watching that though. Shows just how far off base the experts can be....

Old 05-13-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And by the way given Leslie's view that commission should go down when the price goes up...should we not be raising commission as the price comes down?
It did, in my area. 6% used to be the norm. It's now 5%, amongst the lowest in the U.S..

Old 05-13-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesww View Post
Any half way descent economist knew that we had a bubble and prices could not continue to appreciate at the rate it was going. Anyone holding the title of economist at NAR is little more than a spin doctor. Recently NAR has backed up the MIBOR Realtor MLS in Indiana on a topic that if held to will damage the profitability of an agents business or it will bring further DOJ action.
Let's not confuse the NAR spin with that of FRB. Greenspan, the 18 year chairman of FRB, called it " froth". At the time, most economists agreed.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:06 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,636,710 times
Quote:
Most national and city specific data is broad information representing averages, meaning half the sales fall above or below the average.
You mean "median", not "average".

Old 05-13-2009, 10:10 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMensch View Post
I'm not sure what is so wrong with what this document.... tell me what is wrong or dishonest about this...

prices are down
the $8K credit is good
interest rates are at record lows....

Realtors provide expertise in the market place... yes, some of us are better then others... but GOOD Realtors know markets

Realtors provide access to potential buyers and huge web presence that sellers can't get on their own...

Realtors give info on areas to buyers who are relocating and have no idea of where to start.

SO... What's wrong with the points in the memo????
Previous posters hit on the high points with the constant switches between "all real estate is local" and "these national averages prove buying a house is a good idea".

I have problems with the obvious factual errors :

Calling 5% appreciation normal.
Claiming that people in a highly leveraged investment will make up their losses on the selling side from reduced prices on the buy side. The opposite is actually true - a 20% drop in value will wipe out someone who has 20% down. There's no amount of price drops on the buy side that will make up for having 0 or negative equity from selling your current house.
Saying that data shows the market stabilizing when the latest numbers from their "economists" actually show record price drops and foreclosures.

Basically, it's the same lies they've been pushing for the past few years. Imagine what would happen if a stock broker made these sorts of claims. Why is the NAR not held to similarly high standards when giving investment advice?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Previous posters hit on the high points with the constant switches between "all real estate is local" and "these national averages prove buying a house is a good idea".

I have problems with the obvious factual errors :

Calling 5% appreciation normal.
Claiming that people in a highly leveraged investment will make up their losses on the selling side from reduced prices on the buy side. The opposite is actually true - a 20% drop in value will wipe out someone who has 20% down. There's no amount of price drops on the buy side that will make up for having 0 or negative equity from selling your current house.
Saying that data shows the market stabilizing when the latest numbers from their "economists" actually show record price drops and foreclosures.

Basically, it's the same lies they've been pushing for the past few years. Imagine what would happen if a stock broker made these sorts of claims. Why is the NAR not held to similarly high standards when giving investment advice?
They are not held to a high standard because they are a trade group not an investment firm.

The 5% is not a number that I would chose to use but it is defensible. Actually you can check Shiller who I believe has a suitable spread sheet.

Since 1940 appreciation has exceeded 5% even including the recent disaster.

Here is the historic record by decade. This is an extract of Shiller data...

1890's 0.53%
1900's 1.40%
1910's 3.30%
1920's -0.70%
1930's -0.45%
1940's 8.16%
1950's 2.67%
1960's 2.57%
1970's 8.12%
1980's 5.86%
1990's 2.84%
2000+ 9.27%

Stabilizing and such are weasel words...but probably can be claimed to be within the reach of puffery.

NAR is a trade association that sells property. That a trade association tends to favor an optimistic view should surprise nobody. Hell I often disagree with the enthusiasm of the local board anynore a national one.

I have seen no indication that they manipulate the data...just their opinions of it. So watch the data....not the opinions.

I would note that the doom sellers are almost as bad as NAR. They can't see any good changes ever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate