Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 06:15 PM

100 posts, read 403,288 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are in the process of signing contracts on a place and we're getting vastly different closing-cost estimates for our real estate tax escrow. Can someone help me figure this out?

We're set to close on or about April 10th (but it will likely be the end of April or beginning of May).

Our lender (an honest business associate) estimated that we'd need the equivalent around 8 months worth of taxes for escrow at closing. Our real estate lawyer has estimated that we're going to need the equivalent over 12 months - more like 14 months.

There's about $6k-$7k difference in those numbers, so we're not talking a small amount.

Taxes with STAR are high in that area and around $15k.

I "get" the idea that you're paying the seller for taxes already paid, and putting money in escrow for taxes not yet paid. But I can't seem to figure out the right formula for reconciling the big difference in estimates.

Help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 06:48 PM

45,469 posts, read 60,692,988 times
I don't know if this will help but how escrow is figured is: property tax divided by 12 = tax per month times 14 divided by 12 = your monthly escrow.

$120/12= $10 x 14= $140/12= $11.67 (your monthly escrow amount)

Old 02-28-2009, 08:14 PM

100 posts, read 403,288 times
Thanks. I'm moreso trying to find out the number for the initial deposit, i.e., what's due at closing and the starting escrow balance.

Closing is on or about April 10.
Town taxes are due at the end of January and are $4,470.22.
School taxes are due at the end of September and are $10,605.99.
Assuming homeowner's insurance is $1700 (we've been quoted as low as $700).

I've read alternately online that you should have "13 months" to desposit at closing. I've also read that you need "6 months + 2 months" reserves. It also says, "The federal Real Estate Settlement Act limits the amount lenders can require in escrow to a maximum of two months' payments." I'm assuming the latter refers to reserves.

Our agent / laywer / lender have gone through some of the details with us, but come up with different numbers....I've also tried online calculators, but I've gotten different numbers back.

Last edited by Scott99999; 02-28-2009 at 08:51 PM..

Old 02-28-2009, 11:12 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,851,827 times
Are your town's taxes paid by the fiscal quarter and in advance? What about the school taxes?

In Vegas you can count on any prorated taxes, plus if you are too close to the upcoming due date you can count on a quarter of taxes upfront (to be paid directly to the county), plus 2 months reserves. So for a purchase closing in April you would need Q4 prorated (fiscal Q4 starts April 1st but taxes are due March 2nd) plus 2 months, but for a closing in March you would need Q3 prorated (only a month though) plus Q4 upfront plus 2 months reserves.

Keep in mind that this is specific to Vegas and is only an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate