Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:06 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,699,672 times

Advertisements

I have a buyers agent. Never signed anything but I am not the type of person to screw someone over.

Lets say I come across a FSBO on my own and the seller is UNWILLING to deal(pay) my agent. Lets say I fall in love with this house and have to act on my own behalf (or pay the realtor fee myself).

What is best way to handle this type of situation?

I figure ...

1.) I can let my agent deal with FSBO and I pay the full 3%.
2.) I can let my agent deal with FSBO and get a reduce commision from me.

3.) I can deal with FSBO myself and give my agent nothing.
4.) I can deal with FSBO myself and give my agent something for there time.

Anything I am missing? Anyone ever experience this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 02:12 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,188,182 times
At risk of offending our good resident agents, I would say 1 or 2 if you utilize the agent to do paperwork etc.

4 if you are handling it yourself. And it would be a 'gift', a token of your appreciation.

But not 3...unless the agent was absolutely horrible to have dealt with from the get go
well that is my opinion

Old 02-25-2009, 02:18 PM

Well how much if used option #4? What is considered a nice gift in this situation that would leave most agents maybe not HAPPY but not pissed either.

I don't think I would ever do #3 unless the discussion of this got so ugly it was my only choice. And I don't see that happening.

I also don't see doing #1 either.

#2 & #4 seem to be the most realisitc options (in my head).
But determine what is fair in both those options seems very vague.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:21 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,420,133 times
As you said nothing was signed between you and your agent, a "Business Relationship Between Broker And Buyer" contract, then you're under no obligation to do anything for the agent. And technically, without that contract, you don't have a buyer's agent. You have a nice person willing to take you around and show you houses for free.

The only reason you should continue with your agent is if you're uncomfortable doing all the legwork yourself.

Agents, don't kill me please! This is a mistake too many agents make and one of the main reasons some of us don't shed tears and sympathize when told "they bought a house without me".

Old 02-25-2009, 02:31 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,188,182 times
Well we had an
agent once that if they had done their job, would have gotten a new laptop (as a thank you on top of the commssion)
long story
I am sure some agents can make a suggestion?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 AM

10,971 posts, read 22,002,497 times
I agree with Bazzwell. I suggest discussing the matter with your agent and then make a decision. Most agents won't get between you and home you want to purchase (especially in this case where there is no agency.) Most owners by the way, don't mind paying the 3% for a sale. Did you find one of the ones that does mind?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I agree with Bazzwell. I suggest discussing the matter with your agent and then make a decision. Most agents won't get between you and home you want to purchase (especially in this case where there is no agency.) Most owners by the way, don't mind paying the 3% for a sale. Did you find one of the ones that does mind?
This is all WAY WAY premature. Found a FSBO I plan to go look at this weekend. The FSBO said he would prefer not to pay any agency but said something could be worked out.

Just getting some info on a possible bottleneck situation that is doubtful but possible.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 AM

10,971 posts, read 22,002,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
This is all WAY WAY premature. Found a FSBO I plan to go look at this weekend. The FSBO said he would prefer not to pay any agency but said something could be worked out.

Just getting some info on a possible bottleneck situation that is doubtful but possible.
Of course doesn't want to pay a commission! That will cost them money and that's why normally why someone elects to sell unrepresented. I suggest having your agent go look at it with you. Just make sure they understand that the owner may not be willing to pay and you aren't coming out of pocket to pay them (unless you think you need the guidance). Just make a phone call to your agent and tell them the situation. I'm sure they'll appreciate your honesty. If they give you a hard time fire him/her.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:28 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,930,384 times
Do you really want an agent who doesn't have the business sense to put your buyer/agent agreement in writing to work on this extremely important business contract. This isn't a casual car sale...it's a home puchase and you want a professional to represent you if needed.

I'm in the exact same situation, but am under contract with my agent for 8 more weeks.
We'll make a decision what to do with the agent if we decide to buy.
1. Buy and pay agent commish (even though he hasn't done anything but show us a ton of overpriced homes and tell us how perfect they were for us)
2. Give agent option of lower commish, or we sign purchase agreement with seller after our broker agreement expires and broker gets zip.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Do you really want an agent who doesn't have the business sense to put your buyer/agent agreement in writing to work on this extremely important business contract.
Given that I would REFUSE them as my agent if they required it my answer is YES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate