Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:13 AM

3,012 posts, read 8,938,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Except my question was about the buyer agent commission rather than the listing agent commission.
So it was. Good thing I'm blonde -- gives me an ironclad excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 11:30 AM

84 posts, read 334,560 times
A lot of brokerages will also require the agent to pay the company what they would have received on a 2.5% listing. So for example, if you only pay the agent 1% the broker will still deduct their amount as if it was a 2.5% commission, leaving the agent with very little. Brokerages usually make the agent charge a "not less than" commission. If they agree to lower the commission for a client, the difference is coming from the agents slice rather than the brokers. This is why most agents have set agreements with clients as to what their commission will be.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,918,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiekr View Post
A lot of brokerages will also require the agent to pay the company what they would have received on a 2.5% listing. So for example, if you only pay the agent 1% the broker will still deduct their amount as if it was a 2.5% commission, leaving the agent with very little. Brokerages usually make the agent charge a "not less than" commission. If they agree to lower the commission for a client, the difference is coming from the agents slice rather than the brokers. This is why most agents have set agreements with clients as to what their commission will be.
I have never heard of this on the buy side.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:44 PM

23,931 posts, read 33,794,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Except my question was about the buyer agent commission rather than the listing agent commission.
I think what would be helpful is if you include what they plan to give the listing agent. Where I'm at the listing agent usually splits commission in half and while the numbers you give sound reasonable, a buyers agent might see the big picture, meaning the actual percent commission the listing agent gets & tries to deal for part of that so it doesn't come out of his clients pocket if they did sign an agreement to pay the commission.

I'm in NJ and have never heard of buyers agents agreements that would allow for the agent to collect directly from the buyer. I personally wouldn't sign something like that.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,543,869 times
Our buyer's rep agreements state the commission at X% that the buyer owes, then state that we will first go to the seller's agent and the seller for that, but that if the compensation is lower than agreed to, that the buyer will make up the difference. Chances are that we won't actually pursue that, but it is there to protect us. Mainly it applies in the case of FSBO's, and in those cases, where the seller doesn't want to pay a commission, the amount is simply considered by the buyer when they are deciding what their offer will be, just as any other costs would be.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,374,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiekr View Post
A lot of brokerages will also require the agent to pay the company what they would have received on a 2.5% listing. So for example, if you only pay the agent 1% the broker will still deduct their amount as if it was a 2.5% commission, leaving the agent with very little. Brokerages usually make the agent charge a "not less than" commission.
As the owner broker, I like the concept, but I'm sure I'd be sitting by myself in the office if we worked it that way.

If it works that way in your office I'd suggest moving your license

Old 10-21-2008, 02:57 PM

23,931 posts, read 33,794,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Our buyer's rep agreements state the commission at X% that the buyer owes, then state that we will first go to the seller's agent and the seller for that, but that if the compensation is lower than agreed to, that the buyer will make up the difference. Chances are that we won't actually pursue that, but it is there to protect us. Mainly it applies in the case of FSBO's, and in those cases, where the seller doesn't want to pay a commission, the amount is simply considered by the buyer when they are deciding what their offer will be, just as any other costs would be.
I actually lost a sale IMO due to the commission.
In our listing it said 5%, somehow my agents secretary typed up 6% in the contract, split 50/50. When my agent saw it (after they'd gotten the paperwork) he tried to fix it, both the buyers agent & their broker had a cow for what was a 1/2 percent; next thing I know I was getting a letter from their attorney stating they wanted out.

I witnessed him speaking to the buyers agent and heard how pissed they were with my own ears. Some agents are driven by money, even small amounts like from our sale. This is why I don't think 1% would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate