Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 AM

75 posts, read 305,022 times

Advertisements

Not that company in particular, but in general ...what is the lowdown on these companies who promise to buy your house as is, quickly? Are they legit? Do they give you a fair price or extreme lowball prices? How do they work? Just curious..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,092 times
From what I heard they offer you like 50% fair market value.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:04 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootiepie View Post
Not that company in particular, but in general ...what is the lowdown on these companies who promise to buy your house as is, quickly? Are they legit? Do they give you a fair price or extreme lowball prices? How do they work? Just curious..
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
From what I heard they offer you like 50% fair market value.
Yes, the price will be a wholesale price, not retail.
They are a business, and have to see the profit margin on the front end. No business makes money buying at full retail and then re-selling.

Of course, they profit by rehabbing "ugly" homes that many others will not touch.

There is nothing wrong with this, especially if they bail an owner out of a property when no one else will.

Of course, all business should be conducted in the light of day, with integrity. I have not done business with these firms, and can't speak to any one firm's operations, but to the general business model.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:19 PM

34 posts, read 164,882 times
Cool I hope this is the right place to post this. =]

Hello. I have my home listed for sale by owner on Craigslist right now. I had a gentleman write to me and say that he would give me $85,000.00 cash (it's listed at $108,950). Because we want to move so badly and the $85,000.00 is as low as we could go (but still do-able) we are considering it. Here are the emails he has sent to us, do you believe them to be legit or a scam??

His first email:
I invest nationally and make very aggressive offers.

My offer would be for $85,000. I can close quickly.

That's it. Then I replied and asked if he was local. His second reply:

Vykki,

I am not in your area.

Although my offer is very aggressive I operate very openly.

To be completely upfront my interest would be to have an agreement with you at $85,000 in turn I would then market the property to other investors in that area.

I would charge the other investor a fee for my position on the contract with you.

Why consider this? Because I am an investor and I know how to locate others.

I would need a contract to secure my position before contacting other investors.

I am open to discussing as well.

OK, so my husband calls and gets a few things out of him, but he's a bit hard to understand and my hubby had to leave for work. So he told him to send an email with more info.
He sends this:

A few questions and a quick outline.

First if you ever questions please ask me. Two you should never get a different story than what I am telling you if you do then again ask me, please.

My goals are simple: There are only two:

One - that I am successful a creating a solution for you and get your house closed in as fast a time as possible (flexible to your time – not trying rush you out of your house)
Two – that I create a profit for my business by being open and honest.

Questions for you:

How long have you lived in the home?
How much did you pay?
Do you have a move date set?
If so when?
If you could chose when would you prefer to move?
What is included with the sale of the home? Appliances etc
Have you or is the property listed with a Realtor?

Process:
We have already established a price - $85,000

The type of contract I plan to use is called an option agreement. It is different than a purchase agreement in that it gives me the option to purchase at a certain price but is not an obligation to purchase. It is an obligation on your part for the duration of the contract.

The duration of the contract I would like to keep to __________ days from date of signature. After the contract expires you are no longer obligated to me or anyone I have assigned the contract to. ( I do not know what time frame you are on so I left this blank.)

Please let me know what questions you have via email or call.

Talk to you soon

I was thinking about the email (all this started yesterday) so I didn't reply right away. Then early this morning I get this short reply:

Are you interested in moving forward or ?

(Of course I keep editing his name and number for his privacy, so there was a signature). But this seems pushy, right?? So I asked him if a "private person" were to want to buy the home, could I sell it to them because our contract is only for any investors that he finds. But, if I can make a sale, I'd like to. It's like we have an obligation to him, but he doesn't have one to us.

Here's my final reply from him in which I just said "I'll speak with my husband this evening, thanks"

For the first two weeks I would want 5 days to commit or release you. After the first two weeks I would do the same within 3 days or sooner.

By commit I mean a purchase agreement with earnest money.

What do you think of this?? Do you think this man is legit? Do people really do this? I looked up his company he lists in his signature on BBB and it's a mailbox manufacturing company. Should his "investing" company be on there or is it considered private? Has anyone else dealt with this?

Thanks for making it this far in the reading of this looong drawn out post. Any help what-so-ever will be greatly appreciated. For the record, we really want to sell this home because we are reloacting from California to Washington.
Thanks!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:23 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,755,376 times
Scam!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:30 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Is he actually a franchisee of the company known as HomeVestors (We Buy Ugly Houses)? Because they're legit as far as I have seen. You won't get near market value for your house because they need to turn around and make a profit on it, or renovate it and then resell, but you would close fast on your house.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times
Vykki, Don't do it!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:44 PM

192 posts, read 631,521 times
Yikes - without any concrete info to enable you to perform a background check I personally would run like a scalded dog!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:56 PM

34 posts, read 164,882 times
Thank you all for your replies. Like the saying goes, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". It just struck me strange that he was so pushy right away, the last email was last night and the first thing this morning he wants to know if we still want to do it.
Thanks again, everyone!
*Vykki*

Old 10-23-2008, 01:59 PM

275 posts, read 1,761,354 times
Even if this person is legit, it seems like a very one sided contract. Meaning, they only buy your home if they locate another buyer for more than $85,000. Otherwise, they have no obligation to buy your home. Also, a contract with them would prevent you from immediately accepting offers from any other potential buyers, and I think that will make it tougher to get any other offers.

For me, it does not pass the smell test!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate