Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 09:47 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what the reasons could possibly be for this:
A HUD home that went under contract back in May was relisted on Friday (by HUD). It was something I liked back in May but was stuck in an apartment lease. Apt lease is up in 3 weeks- so this is sort of like fate.
But, what reasons could cause a deal to fall through after pending for THREE months? Financing?
My fear- which is why I am asking- is that it has to do with the inspection. Everything is fine on the HUD property listing report and the home is not very old- it was built this decade.

It just seems like such a long time between the offer and relist. I just want to make sure there is nothing I should be aware of before pursuing this. I am calling a HUD registered agent tomorrow.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 09:54 PM

81 posts, read 350,329 times
It could be financing or inspection. Often times, due to the conditionof the house, the property will not qualify for thetype of financing theborrower/buyer can obtain. Saythe house has no floor coverings - it won't go conventional or even insome cases if thestove or dishwasher is missing. Theborrower cannot putthem inbecause they don't have and cannot get permission, so the loanfails.

It takes HUD a long time to get everything cancelled and back online - 3 months is about typical.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:11 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Thank you. I am relieved to hear that 3 months is the norm!

The house is nice- all kitchen appliances are there, floors are fine (carpet doesn't even need to be replaced) and it even has blinds on all of the windows.

I am prequalified for an FHA loan, so I think I am good on that part!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Don't rely too much on the property condition report from HUD. There are unlimited reasons why it came back on the market such as financing, inspection or other.

A HUD house we had under contract for a client was vandalized 1 week before closing and lots of damage was done to it. The client still wanted to buy the house but asked HUD for a price reduction. We had quotes for 15-20K in damage. After a month waiting to hear from HUD, they came back and said that they wanted to give him a 3500 credit. So he backed out.

2 months later, the house has been relisted by HUD and they listed it 40K below the original asking price!!!! go figure!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate