Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 05:49 PM

366 posts, read 1,037,471 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information on buying land at auction and how does the whole process work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:28 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,666,720 times
Each auctioneer will work it differently such as amount of deposit money needed, registration, time frame for closing.

Your best bet is to go to one and observe before you go to buy.

Keep in mind that sometimes you will go expecting to buy and it just gets bid up too high. The last one I went to started out that way when the people who were buying something for themselves jacked the price up. They were paying $14-$15K for 1/2 acres that after they left the investors were buying for $4-$5K. I got 4 at $4,750.
One tax deed sale I went to they were bidding it up as high as they were listed for in the MLS.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:50 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,934,278 times
As Mike stated each auctioneer will work differently, many will have a premium over and above the final auction price. Many will be as much as 10%. At many auctions you will be required to have a sizable portion of the price deposited within 24 hours.
Do your due diligence prior to attending. Know what market price is and have a max bid in your mind. The auctioneer will work you to get the most money they can. That's their job

Old 08-04-2008, 07:49 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,323,547 times
Hire a Realtor who has experience in buying at auction. Typically the seller will authorize payment from proceeds of the auction without costing the buyer. Again each auction will be treated differently, but even if you have to pay a 1 to 3% buyer broker fee, you should receive tremendous value for your investment.

I am an auctioneer who sells real estate at auction. Check also with the National Auctioneers Association: auctioneers.com

Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 AM

366 posts, read 1,037,471 times
Thank you all for the information. Another question, how do you find out what property is up for auction and how do you get to see the property before you bid? I am specifically interested in PA and live on Long Island. I do know that they hold tax lien sales in the Fall but I would need to go see property before the sale to place a bid. How do I go about doing that? If I am interested in a particular community and want to see if there is tax property in there, how do I get to see it? I'm sure a realtor doesn't want to show me tax property when they can get top dollar for some more expensive properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate