Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 04:11 PM

169 posts, read 1,491,482 times

Advertisements

what are the impacts (mostly health & hazard related) of these above ground cables running in close proximity of a house?

what should be the safest distance from these electicity cables?

i liked a house which is located right next to the these gigentic cable lines. i am not sure what to do. do these type of house is worth less money than other houses in normal neighbourhood?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 04:32 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,714,994 times
The resale on homes close to power lines will generally be quite a bit lower than those that are not.

There were many studies done on health factors for close proximity to power lines and most could find no correlation.

The following excerpt is from a college term papaer so keep that in mind.

"The History of the EMF Debate
For decades, scientists have known that high-energy power lines are surrounded by electromagnetic fields. However, they believed that the energy emitted was of such a low frequency that it couldn_t have any biological effects. It wasn’t until the 1960’s that people began to suspect that EMF could be harmful. The debate began when studies in the Soviet Union showed that utility workers at high voltage substations had an unusually high occurrence of sleeplessness and headaches (Sagan, 1996). Then in the 1970’s, U.S. ambassador, Walter Stoessel, developed leukemia after working in the U.S. embassy in Moscow. The high-energy surveillance system maintained by the Soviets was blamed for causing his cancer (Sagan, 1996). The EMF issue was brought to the attention of the public by the Wertheimer-Leeper study of 1979, which was the first to suggest that EMF was linked to childhood cancer (Sagan, 1996). From that point on, many EMF studies were done. Although the vast majority of these studies found no significant link between EMF and health problems, the few studies that did find a link have been enough to keep scientists wondering if maybe EMF really could be dangerous."

Midwest Power Line Expansion & the EMF Debate

Abbie Webb

Old 08-04-2008, 04:37 PM

27,224 posts, read 46,918,349 times
In Europe there was a lot to do with people who got sick and blamed the power lines close to their homes and to be honest, I would never buy close to them...it doesn't look nice and even if officially they haven't found anything...it can be news tomorrow and say bye bye to the value of your home if that happens...you know one day coffee is healthy the next day it is unhealthy, so IMO it is just something that can be news one day.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:38 PM

27,224 posts, read 46,918,349 times
I forgot to mention that in my county there was an open meeting about new pwer cables being installed and because of the people who were against it, it isn't going to happen...so many people were against it.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,246,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusam View Post
what are the impacts (mostly health & hazard related) of these above ground cables running in close proximity of a house?

what should be the safest distance from these electicity cables?

i liked a house which is located right next to the these gigentic cable lines. i am not sure what to do. do these type of house is worth less money than other houses in normal neighbourhood?
There are two separate things to consider. The first is whether not there is a health risk. There hasn't been any conclusive evidence to show that a link exists between power lines and cancer or other illness. However, just like the hype over cell phones and brain cancer, people still continue the rumor.

That brings the second thing to consider...resale. Just like you are unsure what to do, so will future buyers be unsure. You may have to take less and it may take longer to sell. Just go in with eyes open.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:38 PM

41,008 posts, read 49,475,303 times
In most newer neighborhoods there are buried electrical lines that put out more EMF than overhead lines at a distance. The buried lines are overlooked by most people since they are out of sight.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:43 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,778,400 times
Those buried electrical lines though are not the same as high voltage transmission lines I believe...

Are you sure about your statement?

Anyway, I would stay away because I still have doubts whether its safe to be close to them over a long period of time, and 2. They are an eyesore anyway....

Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 PM

41,008 posts, read 49,475,303 times
Quote:
Are you sure about your statement?
In the 80's I lived next door to a doctor and behind us were power lines. At that time the news was pushing the health risk so before he bought the lot he had an engineering firm do tests. There was higher readings coming from the underground lines then the overhead lines.

We were on a Cul-de-Sac where the lines made a circle like a magnet. The engineer said that had a lot to do with the high reading.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,205,964 times
IMHO I could never live within a mile or so from them. If you can literally see them or worse, hear them humming...I just couldn't be that close.
I know several poeple who had cancers that lived right next to them, My mom and aunt both had chronic lymphatic leukemia/with a twist of hairy cell, very odd...and they both lived next to them (both these ladies led very 'clean' lives)
so who really knows.

I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:23 PM

6,021 posts, read 14,128,070 times
I had a motorcycle in the back of my pickup and after a day of dirt riding I stopped under some huge power lines to tighten my tie down straps. I had leather sole boots on and the snapping and crackle of the lines above me was unnerving. Anyway when I touched the small luggage rack on my bike I got one heck of a static shock. It made a loud snap and my arm went completely numb for a few hours. I could barely drive home. I would stay as far as possible from those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate