Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:25 PM

3 posts, read 27,482 times

Advertisements

So I forgot that a check I wrote for the earnest deposit was linked to bank account A. I absent-mindedly transferred money from account A to account B. I had some other funds from account C to account A that was already electronically withdrawn, but has yet to show up to account A.

The result of the transaction mess was that my earnest money check bounced.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 06:31 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,479,085 times
Be Pro-active. Tell your agent, and have your agent contact the title company to let them know what happened. They'll tell you how to handle it.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:36 PM

43,389 posts, read 77,320,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravis View Post
So I forgot that a check I wrote for the earnest deposit was linked to bank account A. I absent-mindedly transferred money from account A to account B. I had some other funds from account C to account A that was already electronically withdrawn, but has yet to show up to account A.

What should I do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Be Pro-active. Tell your agent, and have your agent contact the title company to let them know what happened. They'll tell you how to handle it.
Proactive indeed! Talk to your agent, title company, or closing attorney immediately.

Your contract may have provisions for a bounced check, and how quickly you have to provide good funds.
In NC it is 24 hours/one day, or the Seller may terminate at will.

Embarrassment is easier to get over than losing a home you really want to buy.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 27,482 times
I have not heard back from my agent, yet. Should I leave a message at the title company's voicemail tonight, too?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:04 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,535,351 times
ABSOLUTELY!

The big thing is NOT that it bounced (which happens OFTEN) but that in this market, with so many deals dying for things like lack of funding and failure for a property to appraise, you don't want any freaky/funky credit entries on the deal as a buyer NOR do you want the seller and their agent to assume that you are less than capable of consummating the transaction. It is not so much that they'l reject your offer and go with some of te hordes of buyers beating down the door (becuase those days are gone...) but you don't want ANYTHING to cloud the various parties ability to close this things ASAP...

Old 06-03-2008, 07:10 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,692,093 times
Quote:
I have not heard back from my agent, yet. Should I leave a message at the title company's voicemail tonight, too?
Definitely! You need to let everyone involved know that this was an honest mistake. You have to be proactive here and let people know you're a good person who made a mistake ~ everyone makes mistakes and can relate to your plight. Best wishes!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:58 PM

43,389 posts, read 77,320,136 times
Quote:
Sure.
What can it hurt?

And you should likely have your nose pressed to the Bank door when they unlock it in the morning, waiting to get certified funds to carry to the title company's office.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:32 AM

15,598 posts, read 40,516,832 times
Quote:

What should I do?

In Oregon, the seller would be entitled to terminate the contract immediately and would be entitled the earnest money funds as damages as well.

Having said that we are in a buyer's market, and a nice apologetic letter to the listing agent/seller explaining your mistake will ease some concerns. Check your earnest money deposit due date. You may have to have a new addendum to extend it out to be in compliance.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:11 AM

414 posts, read 1,258,659 times
Well I'm no expert, but wanted to say that stinks and I'm sorry that happened.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:16 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,991,783 times
That happened to me when I bought my first town house. I NEVER bounced a check in my life and my DH (then fiance') messed up. I was mortified, but contacted my realtor and all was good. Just make sure everyone knows you are not trying to pull anything and get those funds to them ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate