Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,737 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Seattle area here. Our house is a daylight basement which has 2 bedrooms / 1 bath layout on the main (upper) floor which also contains the main living areas (kitchen, great room). It would be very nice to have a master bathroom instead of one global bathroom for everyone, including guests. We have a tiny but functional bathroom in the basement as well.

We are considering to shrink our Master bedroom down to 11x12 (excluding closet which would be a bit less than 3 foot wide x 8 foot long) to build a master bathroom (5x9). Our current Master bedroom is about 15x12.

We can either keep the existing layout, and simply update the bathroom. OR, we can convert the existing bathroom in to 2 small bathrooms which steals space mainly from the Master Bedroom.

We never hang out in the bedroom so we don't need or want any lounging or sitting area. We don't have other options of building out on other sides of the house. Given the value of the land, there's a reasonable chance that whoever buys this house years down the road they will tear it down and build whatever they want.

Do you guys think it's worth accepting a very small master bedroom so you can have a master bath? Or not? Any reasons why?

Last edited by sabailao; 09-25-2020 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 04:19 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabailao View Post
Hi,

Seattle area here. Our house is a daylight basement which has 2 bedrooms / 1 bath layout on the main (upper) floor which also contains the main living areas (kitchen, great room). It would be very nice to have a master bathroom instead of one global bathroom for everyone, including guests. We have a tiny but functional bathroom in the basement as well.

We are considering to shrink our Master bedroom down to 11x12 (excluding closet which would be a bit less than 3 foot wide x 8 foot long) to build a master bathroom (5x9). Our current Master bedroom is about 15x12.

We can either keep the existing layout, and simply update the bathroom. OR, we can convert the existing bathroom in to 2 small bathrooms which steals space mainly from the Master Bedroom.

We never hang out in the bedroom so we don't need or want any lounging or sitting area. We don't have other options of building out on other sides of the house. We are not concerned about resale much as we plan to live here for many years. And given the value of the land, there's a reasonable chance that whoever buys this house years down the road they will tear it down and build whatever they want.

Do you guys think it's worth accepting a very small master bedroom so you can have a master bath? Or not? Any reasons why?
You need to compare your improvements to those in your specific market. If adding a bathroom will increase the value of your home, or you will get a greater ROI, then yes, do it. On the other hand, if your market is big on large bedrooms, I'd leave it alone. Contact a Realtor that's educated on renovations and what returns you'll receive on your investment.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:59 PM

404 posts, read 765,137 times
Personally I wouldn't do it - only because an 11x12' master seems far too small to me.

But you've indicated you never hang out in the bedroom, you have no other viable options for adding a master bath, and you don't care about resale value, so it seems like you've mostly answered your own question.

I guess it comes down to 1) do you have the money to do this and 2) does the current single shared bathroom on the main floor cause lots of frustration?

Old 09-25-2020, 06:11 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
If it makes your home work better for you, I say go for it. Especially if you're planning to be there for a while. Since you say it's likely a teardown, all the more reason to do whatever makes you happy.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:50 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
How many people do you share the bath with? How frequently do you entertain? This will be ensuite, right? Were it just me or me and my husband living there and I only entertained infrequently, I wouldn't bother.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:52 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Seattle market has gone up so much (and will probably continue to do so, until it's the equal of San Francisco's), that I agree with you, by the time that you sell it, it will likely be a tear down. So if you're planning to stay in it, do the conversion and make it what you want it to be, for the duration. I myself would say that the master bedroom is then too small, but YOU are the ones living in it, and as you say, it will be sold as a tear down eventually, anyway.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:04 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
That’s not a tiny size for a master bedroom. Many people don’t actually want a huge master, so I wouldn’t assume it would be an issue- particularly in a smaller home. Honestly, I just sleep in there and really hate when homes have huge master bedrooms and kitchens that take up most of the house, but there is no place to sit at a table to eat (you are supposed to eat at a kitchen island) and the living room is small. I spend most of my time at the dining table or couch when I am not in my home office, and would rather have more space there.

I think the point is that each buyer is different, but most people would rather have more bathrooms. I would just make sure that whatever renovation you do has at least one bathroom with a bathtub.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:15 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Within reason, the added master bathroom is worth a smaller bedroom. The reason depending on, will a king bed still fit in there, with some amount of room for nightstands and a dresser?

Old 09-26-2020, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,737 times
In the bedroom, I can fit a California King, 2 nightstands, and at the foot of the bed 2 dressers. The walkway from the foot of the bed to the dressers (no head / foot board) is 33" while the walkway on the sides of the beds is 24-28". The bedroom is currently set up in this way so I'm confident it can work this way. I can't see where to attach a drawing to share in this thread. If it were a regular king, I'd probably have to sacrifice one nightstand, or find a few really skinny nightstands instead, though I'd gain more space at the foot of the bed.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:53 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
I can't see where to attach a drawing to share in this thread.

Click on "Go Advanced" then on "Manage Attachments" and you can upload images from your computer.

As long as you have room for dressers against the long wall, I'd do it. Adding the bathroom for your own comfort and convenience is what counts. Resale value will take care of itself some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate