Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 08:44 PM

10,000 posts, read 4,743,405 times

Advertisements

Checked the listings for the neighborhood for the first time in a while since there wasn't much new over the last few months. Right now $300K and above seem to be actually going higher while below $300K is starting to show price drops. Could be people trying to push a sale in pandemic or sign of things to come

The demand is there but I don't think the money or credit is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 09:19 PM

14,621 posts, read 12,286,207 times
If people still have solid income, there is money to be lent. Interest rates are still very low.

Personally, we just closed on a refinance this past week. Buyer client under contract without any hitches in their funding either.

It is possible that if a part of the market is going to be hit hardest or first, it will be the lower end starter homes. First time buyers may be those most likely to be suffering some income setbacks right now.

I haven't seen price drops here, yet..... listings are scarcer than buyers, and it's still pretty competitive.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-09-2020 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-09-2020, 09:29 PM

15,608 posts, read 40,550,107 times
In my city home prices are up 13.7% April 2019 to April 2020. Our inventory is 2.2 months so we are still in a seller's market.

We never shut down real estate and construction though. We just had to create a social distancing policy as a company and then follow it.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:18 PM

10,000 posts, read 4,743,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
If people still have solid income, there is money to be lent. Interest rates are still very low.

Personally, we just closed on a refinance this past week. Buyer client under contract without any hitches in their funding either.

It is possible that if a part of the market is going to be hit hardest or first, it will be the lower end starter homes. First time buyers may be those most likely to be suffering some income setbacks right now.

I haven't seen price drops here, yet..... listings are scarcer than buyers, and it's still pretty competitive.

listing scarcer than buyers-lol but so true

Our neighborhood or zip code was already saturated with investors prior to the virus with flippers buying and fixing and investors apparently buying the renovated properties at top dollar which I'm still trying to to figure out. The 08 crash had already put alot of commercial owners in the market and now it's investors and/or groups of people buying one property.

To me it's what happens after the initial onslaught of delayed sales including those who had planned to sell or buy in March and April. After that is the true test. My guess the backlog will clear out pretty quick judging by how many sales actually took place during the lockdown which surprised me.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:25 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,969,053 times
My current town has changed from seller's market to a balanced market, according to the realtors I follow. It definitely appears that way from the listings and activities.

My previous town was a seller's market with a median price of $365,000. I don't see any houses any more at that price. I see condos/townhouses flooding the market that are 200-250,000 range.These houses are around 1200 sq feet and 2 bed/1 (sometimes 1.5) bathrooms. DOM are up, but they are moving.

I'm also seeing houses in the 500 + market and they seem to be moving. However, houses in between those 2 prices are just not on the market.

As far as 3/2 single family homes go, they just aren't there. It is really weird.

Additionally, I'm not seeing houses with all of the upgrades that I'd been seeing, either. DOM are going up, too. Pre-pandemic, they were sitting around 30 and offers coming in 24 hours. Now, they are at 45 days.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:04 PM

118 posts, read 107,762 times
Interesting WSJ article on mortgages
"The Mortgage Market Never Got Fixed After 2008. Now It’s Breaking Again."

Discusses role of nonbanks in mortgage lending. Interesting read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate