Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:28 PM

113 posts, read 277,798 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at some historical home appreciation data and came to the conclusion that the San Jose/San Francisco area is probably the best area in the country to own a house or condo as far as appreciation. Obviously homes in the area are extremely expensive but based on my research, a home that cost $100K in San Jose back in 1980, now it is going for $700K. I understand Seattle, Nassau County, NY and other places are also pretty good but is there a better place in this country to own a home than San Jose/San Francisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 07:11 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,534,926 times
Be sure to include inflation in calculations to ensure accuracy.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:08 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,687,903 times
Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:25 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,972,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.

So funny.... and so true.

Don't forget, very few things go up forever. Eventually home prices need to keep pace with income. If prices grow much faster than income then no one can afford the homes and prices go down. Same as with rent, if renting is much cheaper than buying more people will decide to rent and not buy.

I think you need to take out a lot of what happened in the last few years. Prices became disconnected from income and rent because so many people were doing stated income teaser rate loans and thinking they could make a killing with appreciation in a few years.

Home prices will return to their historic trend of increasing (or decreasing) with the economic fortunes and income of the surrounding community.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:36 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,949,884 times
I was reading a recent report that documented the absorbtion rate in the bay area. The last 60 day absorbtion rate was listed at 53%. That means 53% of the listed houses sold, which is darn good.

Compare that with the 60 day absorbtion rate in one of the challenged markets. For example, Las Vegas' 60 day absorbtion rate was listed at 10% in the same report along with Reno, NV.

What's that mean for the future? I don't know. What I do know is that things can change so just because things are going well doesn't mean that it will continue forever.

There's lots of people who are contrarians. They don't jump like lemmings off the cliff with everyone else. Instead, they look for the blood in the water and see if there's some feeding opportunities.

So, is now the time to abandon the hot markets and look for opportunities where the blood is filling the water? Again, I don't know. I just wouldn't want to be caught in the exhuberance of an area like many people were caught over the last few years. Isn't that part of what happened that's led to our current situation?

Old 03-18-2008, 04:02 PM

garth, what was the source of the stats on absorption rate? That's pretty darn encouraging considering how hot the SF Bay Area got.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:39 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,949,884 times
It's right here in front of me. It's a February 2008 "Market Condition Report" from First Centennial Title. They crunched the numbers and then discussed the results in the report.

The report is primarily about the Nevada market. However, the discussion of the report took note of Bay area figures in an analysis of market conditions.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
I was reading a recent report that documented the absorbtion rate in the bay area. The last 60 day absorbtion rate was listed at 53%. That means 53% of the listed houses sold, which is darn good.

Compare that with the 60 day absorbtion rate in one of the challenged markets. For example, Las Vegas' 60 day absorbtion rate was listed at 10% in the same report along with Reno, NV.
I'm a bit confused. Absorption rate is usually measured in months. That is, it is the number of homes on the market divided by the number of homes sold in a month. For instance, if there are 100 homes sold in a month and 2400 homes on the market, then the absorption rate is 24 months. In theory, this will tell how many months it would take to sell all the homes that are listed.

What exactly is the 53% referring to in your article?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:48 AM

395 posts, read 491,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
I have been looking at some historical home appreciation data and came to the conclusion that the San Jose/San Francisco area is probably the best area in the country to own a house or condo as far as appreciation. Obviously homes in the area are extremely expensive but based on my research, a home that cost $100K in San Jose back in 1980, now it is going for $700K. I understand Seattle, Nassau County, NY and other places are also pretty good but is there a better place in this country to own a home than San Jose/San Francisco?
did u know cali is the #1 in foreclosures in the nation right now? those $700k homes will be slash in half by end of this year. just wait and see. buy it at the end of the year. u will thank me for it.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times
We are in the middle of a housing bubble burst. Everyone under water now says that no one saw it coming. How can you predict what the future will hold ?

Real estate for investment is a gamble. Real estate purchase should be a long term investment. It's your home first..investment second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate