Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 03:39 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,139,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
It's nice to have a prestigious degree but it's not worth the massive cost. Getting a free ride there is one thing, but it's not worth being 100K-200K in debt for a prestigious school on your resume. The difference in income (if any) is not going to make up for the student loans.

The point of college should be getting in and out with as little debt as possible.
Yep, and while a CS degree is envouge now, what about in 10 years? Will your student loans, nice car and house be paid off with enough passive income put away to live without a job indefinitely? Because no matter how fancy your degree is or how great the market is for said degree today in 10 years who knows, and when that ax falls thats it. If you dont have the passive income to hang out without a job for a LONG time your looking at a house sale, up rooting a family, etc etc.

What are you doing to do go get another high pedigree degree in something else for 4-5 years and incur more loans in your mid 30's?

I agree, get in and out with very little debt. Get a house and a car PAID OFF and start saving like a mad man. Because when the ax falls, unless you are very lucky, you wont just be able to go get another 6 figure job in the same area in a couple of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 04:42 AM

34,154 posts, read 83,233,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
The point of college should be getting in and out with as little debt as possible.
I'll admit that for many the point seems to have BECOME this... but, NO.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and call that hyperbole.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:51 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,199,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Oh wow, they came down since last time I looked. I wonder if jobs are shrinking there? When I was looking a single family home with a 2 car garage was like 330k, while not san fran prices its certainly out of reach for most millennials. You can always find stuff as cheap or as expensive as you want in any area but I typically gauge by what a 1600-2000 sq single family home with a 2 car garage goes for in good condition that does not need a crap ton of work. 1300 sq ft with no garage is pretty tiny and no garage in montana will wreck your car so I dont think thats a good guage, thats basicly a condo.
No it won't. Source: I spent 10 years in Montana and my car was only in a garage for about 4 years. My husband's never was. There is virtually no moisture in MT so even when there is salt on the road it's not reacting with much water to cause rust on cars. There are boatloads of 20 year old cars on the road in MT without a speck of rust and you'd be surprised to see how many homes don't have garages. Or the garage is full of other junk.

Bozeman is expensive because it's full of trust fund ski bums, second home owners, and out of state work-from-home people. There is nothing about the Bozeman economy that could support the home prices there (that really aren't out of line with the national average but still higher than the dismal wages in the state).

Old 10-24-2018, 11:48 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,015,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'll admit that for many the point seems to have BECOME this... but, NO.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and call that hyperbole.
Not hyperbole.

Go to a well respected state school, get a useful degree that can land you a job (engineering, Comp SCI, Accounting/Finance) and get out as quick and with as little debt as possible. Go to summer school and get an internship and you can probably get out in under four years. College is nothing more than proving to employers you can jump through the hoops.

Too many people go to college and see it has a growing experience and getting away from mom and dad. Taking student loans to live in a frat house and party while getting a history degree is stupid. It may be fun but the cost of those four years will eventually bite you unless you're parents were wealthy enough to foot the bill.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
No it won't. Source: I spent 10 years in Montana and my car was only in a garage for about 4 years. My husband's never was. There is virtually no moisture in MT so even when there is salt on the road it's not reacting with much water to cause rust on cars. There are boatloads of 20 year old cars on the road in MT without a speck of rust and you'd be surprised to see how many homes don't have garages. Or the garage is full of other junk.

Bozeman is expensive because it's full of trust fund ski bums, second home owners, and out of state work-from-home people. There is nothing about the Bozeman economy that could support the home prices there (that really aren't out of line with the national average but still higher than the dismal wages in the state).
I gotta figure out how to become one of those out of state work from home person .... dang what a smokin deal.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I gotta figure out how to become one of those out of state work from home person .... dang what a smokin deal.
People do it all over the country and the world. Take your DC income to your Bozeman address and you'll do just fine.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
People do it all over the country and the world. Take your DC income to your Bozeman address and you'll do just fine.
That is cool, I have to figure out how to swing it as a chemical engineer.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
That is cool, I have to figure out how to swing it as a chemical engineer.
The problem with Montana is that if you're required to travel part of the time for work your options are horrendous. Loooooooong drives or expensive and limited airfare. Or if you're really angry with yourself you can hop on the Empire Builder.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:49 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,279,212 times
Quote:
Graduated from the colorado school of mines in chemical engineering, was unemployed for over a year after graduation. Got the pink slip this past January and still havent found a comperable engineering roll.

Just having a top tier degree is not really worth it, if they were so great employers would be falling over each other as soon as they saw that on my resume even if it was to leverage as a transferable skill set to something comparable ...... but they dont.
I was unaware that CO school of mines had a highly ranked Chem E program. Is it even in the top 50?

Old 10-25-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I was unaware that CO school of mines had a highly ranked Chem E program. Is it even in the top 50?
Google it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate