Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 05:37 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,661,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Not true. Elevators do add value.
Again..... the house price will be based on comps. If comps in the area have no elevators..... it will add no value. Typically..... if you price the house well above all the recent comps it will sit on the market for a long time because people will think its over priced, or people will simply low ball offers. Typically....

But hey, I know nothing about your market, so maybe there will be a bidding war for properties with elevators. But somehow I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 09:32 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
Of note, a three stop elevator in my neck of the woods (RI) adds $22K to the tax assessment.

YMMV.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Not true. Elevators do add value.

$20K is not a small amount of money and it is what home elevators go for.
Ok. How do they add value to a house?

Old 03-12-2016, 03:18 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I don't know anyone that would buy a house with an elevator. If they are so bad off they need an elevator, they'll buy a one-story home.
Not exactly true. We just bought a new ranch home as I am disabled and stairs are the bane of my existence. Until we get the stackable W/D in the kitchen, I still have to trudge the steep basement steps to do the laundry.

If they had elevators, I'd have considered a two story house. My only concern is getting stuck if the power goes out!

OP: If you DO put in an elevator, BE SURE it has battery back-up if the power goes out.

I think you should be able to recoup about 75% of the cost...why? because more and more people I know are looking for such in a house taller than one story, like me. I wish we had one now to the basement!

Old 03-12-2016, 07:29 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I don't think you will recoup all the cost of an elevator. It's not something pretty or shiny. But if it's something you need now, then you should consider it a necessity and not worry about the resale value.
Agree. If you need it, get it, don't worry.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:35 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
go with the elevator, if you need it. My mom had a stair lift and besides being ugly, it made it very difficult to climb the stairs since it was always in the way. The track also attracted a lot of dirt and it was difficult to keep clean.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
Very good point about cleaning the track. We have 2 cats and 2 dogs and i bet those tracks have oil and would attract dust bunnies as well as pet hair. new consideration. Thank you.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:36 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,666,638 times
My neighbor has an elevator, and told me that they use an enormous amount of electricity.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:26 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
My neighbor has an elevator, and told me that they use an enormous amount of electricity.
I wonder if you could find out a bit more about that from your neighbor. What does s/he consider to be an "enormous amount" and how does that translate into dollars?. Electricity costs vary significantly around the country.

Also, if a person needs additional electricity for permanent medical use, the costs are reduced with a form filled in and submitted by one's physician to the electricity company.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 03-12-2016 at 08:42 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 06:33 AM

492 posts, read 638,652 times
One advantage of an elevator over a chair lift is it can also be used as a dumbwaiter. In my house the dumbwaiter goes from the garage to the main floor, so groceries aren't hauled up and down the stairs. I wish it went to the second floor too, so we could use it to bring the Christmas decorations down or bring luggage up to the second floor. Because of it's cargo capabilities, in a large house where the elevator is in a thought out position I don't see it as being a detriment.

That said, my parent had an pnumantic elevator added to their home. There was no obvious place to put the elevator, so it goes from the small family room (or keeping room) to the Master bedroom. They said it cost about $30K including installation. It does look cool, and presently it means they can stay in their home for as long as they want. Resale might be tough, but they were told you can just take the elevator out and restore the hole in the ceiling/floor and you are good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate