Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Real estate: relocating, market, sell our house, appliance, renovation, home repair.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:50 AM

99 posts, read 409,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
FOr the price you are selling I would expect:
at least Corian, granite, or quartz
I would hate the backsplash so I would replace that with something that is neutral in color
I personally do not like Oak, so I would either let them alone for those who do like that look (i think it dates a home) or I would paint them or replace.
I would do stainless appliances

THis is what I WOULD DO...You have to do what you can afford...but I think you will be much better off in the long run to make the improvements. Kitchens and Baths sell homes.
Thanks for the advice - ironically, I do not like oak at all - we fought quite a bit when renovating the kitchen originally, and I finally just gave up and gave in to DH! Replacing them is simply not in the budget (or even refacing, as the boxes are solid maple and include many roll-outs, etc). The oak cabinets are why I even hesitate overall, as all the other updates may not be enough to offset the (IMO) outdated look. I am so afraid of painting cabinets - that's one reno that scares the daylights out of me!

After all this agonizing, I think we are now going to rent out the home for a couple of years, as we have received a pretty good offer to do so. If that is what we are going to do, I'm going to finish my punch list, replace the broken appliances only and update the kitchen just before putting it on the market. I'll work on the landscaping over the next year, too.

Of course, this means selling the condo we are just finishing up instead - a whole different type of audience, there, though.

Thanks again for all your helpful responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 05:39 AM

1 posts, read 939 times
i would get rid of all the ugly stuff in yard to make it look clean and replace the kitchen appliances and fix the cracked tile and clean the house really good and stage it correct . and it is very inportant to make sure their is no clutterness around the house. then raise the price twenty more grand and if your house is really worth your asking price then you should not have a promblem selling it ill bet you a good amount of money goodluck steve from newark de
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate