Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:27 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,926 times

Advertisements

My siblings and I recently inherited a house that must be sold per the will. It is in a neighborhood where every house that has sold in the last several years(20+) has been torn down and rebuilt. Also, the houses have all been purchased by members of the Orthodox Jewish community as there are many synagogues within walking distance.

I have two questions - how do realtors go about selling a house that will be most certainly be torn down? I have only sold one house and updates and staging were key in making that sale..in this case I am hoping those things won't matter as the house has not been updated at all. Also, is the real estate commission percentage the same as it would be for a standard sale? Some people I've spoken with believe that the same amount of work is not involved - in fact that in some cases the buyers never even view the house - so the commission tends to be lower.

Finally, we've heard from a member of the Orthodox community that we would be better off selling it ourselves as in his experience the Orthodox Jews do not want to deal with realtors. Has anyone experienced this? I am not trying to generalize at all..this was a single comment and may not at all reflect the views of most people. I'm honestly not sure whether most of the homes in the area sold recently went through an agent or not..if there's any way to find out that would be really helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times
When you dont know how to do something yourself, you hire a professional. In this case, a realtor.

The commission can be negotiated just like anything else in life.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:48 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
how do realtors go about selling a house that will be most certainly be torn down?
Pretty much the same as with any other house.

Quote:
is the real estate commission percentage the same as it would be for a standard sale?
Why wouldn't it be?

The property has whatever value it might have as it presently exists.
That is all you can advertise and all that you can sell.

If it could be used rather than torn down as is, that is without anything more done to it
that than scrubbing and paint (and an independent appraisal concurs!), it'll sell for more.
Be realistic.

Quote:
we've heard from a member of the Orthodox community that we would be better off selling
it ourselves as in his experience the Orthodox Jews do not want to deal with realtors.
Read: People like to believe that FSBO properties should/will sell for lower prices.
That doesn't mean the seller will net any more than with an agent.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:54 AM

150 posts, read 343,654 times
At our attorney firm, we have had clients who sell on their own.

The last house was sold as is, no inspections, no contingencies - nothing. We did allow people to see the house, but there was no negotiating except for price. If they wanted an inspection, they were welcome to it, but we were very clear that after price negotiation, our client was done.

I think that listing with a broker would be better since they have all the contracts and write the language you want, or make sure to have a real estate attorney prepare the contracts.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,335,572 times
All I can say about this is "Oy Vey" !!

You would be better served by a Real Estate Attorney if not by a Realtor/Broker. There are too many variables that could require a professional in you corner to represent your interests. Unless you are well experienced in such actions, you could be easily taken advantage of without the advice of a professional.

Best wishes.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:35 PM

537 posts, read 1,447,969 times
What area in Long Island is this that EVERY home gets torn down?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,926 times
The house is actually in Brooklyn.

I would normally NEVER even think of selling without a realtor..we had a fantastic agent when we sold our first house and I'm not asking this looking to save on commission. We looked at over 100 houses before buying our current one, and we found that the FSBO's tended to be overpriced, probably because these people did not have an agent advising them. I just don't want to alienate my target market.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:55 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
The house is actually in Brooklyn.

I would normally NEVER even think of selling without a realtor..
I just don't want to alienate my target market.
Sellers should choose an agent who is active and successful in the immediate area.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Here is how I see a FSBO.
seller wants the portion of the sale that would go to the agent in the sellers pocket
Buyer wants a discount in accordance to the commission that would normally go to the agents.

Get a agent
Price the house according to the condition and a realistic price you would pay for the house or what price a house in that condition sells for. If the buyer wants it bad enough tell them to get their own agent

Old 10-28-2013, 02:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,994 times
List it on Zillow or get a cheap way onto MLS. Realtors are the second oldest profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate