Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 08:45 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,033 times

Advertisements

How do you make this decision? We live in an ok but not all that well built home in the perfect location. It is small for our suburban area but at 2600sqft perfectly fine for our family of four. We have a much larger than normal lot (nearly .5 acre where here most are .15 or .2) and we are in a great central location with excellent schools.

We are considering renovating our kitchen and downstairs bathroom as well as painting the outside of the house and at the same time we are looking around to be sure we shouldn't move instead. While it would cost us around 40k to renovate we would have to spend approx 100k more to move to a slightly larger home that we would have to do nothing to. We can afford either but obviously would like to spend less.

My concern is how to know that it makes sense to spiff up our smaller than average house rather than just sell it and move? I'm leaning towards staying but don't want to over renovate for the house.

Would love thoughts, thanks!

Oh and before anyone says it, yes, 2600 square feet is great for us and I realize its large in much of the country but most of the new houses here are 3200+ so my concern for resale I think is valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,350 times
by renovate do you mean just re-do what's existing or do you mean adding square footage? If you're not doing an addition, i'd just stay put.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:12 PM

We would just redo what we have. New floors, cabinets, countertops, gas line for the stove, new appliances. No new square footage.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:20 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
How do you make this decision?
We live in an ok but not all that well built home in the perfect location.

That's it. The location works for you.
Now make the house work (as well as it can & you can afford).

Old 10-12-2013, 10:09 PM

23 posts, read 36,117 times
If I were in your shoes, I would renovate. Location is really important. You can fix a house, you cannot fix a location. You can always renovate and change a house but if you buy new home in a location that is not perfect - you cannot fix that.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:27 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
How do you make this decision? We live in an ok but not all that well built home in the perfect location. It is small for our suburban area but at 2600sqft perfectly fine for our family of four. We have a much larger than normal lot (nearly .5 acre where here most are .15 or .2) and we are in a great central location with excellent schools.

We are considering renovating our kitchen and downstairs bathroom as well as painting the outside of the house and at the same time we are looking around to be sure we shouldn't move instead. While it would cost us around 40k to renovate we would have to spend approx 100k more to move to a slightly larger home that we would have to do nothing to. We can afford either but obviously would like to spend less.

My concern is how to know that it makes sense to spiff up our smaller than average house rather than just sell it and move? I'm leaning towards staying but don't want to over renovate for the house.

Oh and before anyone says it, yes, 2600 square feet is great for us and I realize its large in much of the country but most of the new houses here are 3200+ so my concern for resale I think is valid.
Why are you asking a board of strangers. And that's not "large". That's average. And not "well built" on top of it all?

If you are so in love with the school system and you can afford the 40K (which will end up around 50-60K) to renovate - do it.

If you can afford a larger and better built home, that still has a a great public school system...why hesitate to move?

Shelling out $40K (which will never be 40K) as opposed to getting what you want in a mortgage.....

Do you have the $40K in cash? Or will you be taking out a HELOC? Might spend $600 one month and $300 the next?

Move. Get what you want all tied up in to one little nice mortgage without a variable + 1 % rate.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:34 PM

No HELOC, cash for the renovation. 50kish extra mortgage if we move. And I'm asking a because this is a board dedicated to real estate right? And this is a real estate decision. I didn't say 2600 sqft was large, only that in some areas in the country it would be considered large. It is small here.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:50 AM

189 posts, read 643,736 times
Quote:
we would have to spend approx 100k more to move to a slightly larger home that we would have to do nothing to.
There will always be something that needs to be done.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:55 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
Exterior painting is general maintenance. The rest is renovation.

Location is always key. You can always change the house, you can't change location!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:33 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
If you like everything about the house except the cosmetics I would fix the cosmetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate