Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 PM

396 posts, read 1,860,764 times

Advertisements

I closed escrow and took possession of my home about two weeks ago. Today, I received the notarized deed from the County Clerk that grants me this real property. It was signed, dated, and notarized by the seller ten days before escrow was closed??? This is puzzling to me.

On the date the seller notarized that deed, I had wired my 3% Earned Money Deposit in the morning. However, we had not yet gone through inspections, disclosures, and request for repairs. And, most importantly, I had not yet paid the other 97% of the agreed price.

Why would the seller notarize the deed in my name ten days before escrow was closed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 07:12 PM

1,011 posts, read 4,928,596 times
He might have been going out of town and wanted to leave it with the closing agent to handle after the funding came through. Pretty common for a seller needing to sign paperwork when they might not be available near the actual closing date.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 PM

396 posts, read 1,860,764 times
I am guessing is that it may have been an escrow requirement for the seller to sign the notarized deed way ahead of time:
1. The buyer puts up the earnest money deposit into escrow.
2. The seller puts up a signed, notarized deed into escrow.

This minimizes either party from getting "cold feet" about the transaction.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 PM

15,622 posts, read 40,664,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
I am guessing is that it may have been an escrow requirement for the seller to sign the notarized deed way ahead of time:
1. The buyer puts up the earnest money deposit into escrow.
2. The seller puts up a signed, notarized deed into escrow.

This minimizes either party from getting "cold feet" about the transaction.
I doubt it was this. I've had sellers leaving the country. There are requirements for notaries and when you are in a foreign country you have to get notarized at an American embassy. Easier to just sign and notarize the deed and have it held in escrow until closing. I would bet the seller was going to be in a place without easy access to a notary and didn't want to hold up the deal over it. It is quite common.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,694,024 times
So...deployed, foreign service, recently away for 4-6 months....

Old 10-01-2013, 04:48 AM

8,583 posts, read 12,540,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
Why would the seller notarize the deed in my name ten days before escrow was closed?
A Deed isn't effective until it's delivered (and, in some cases, recorded). There are lots of reasons why someone might sign a Deed ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate