Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 AM

638 posts, read 1,595,146 times

Advertisements

We're considering a flat fee listing, but before we plunk the money down, need to be assured it actually gets into the local MLS (eastern NC).

Any one have experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
All "flat fee" refers to is the manner in which you compensate the listing agent.

I can't speak to your local MLS, but there are flat fee listings all over the Triangle MLS. I would expect your local MLS would function the same.
Just have the agent show you other flat fee listings on your MLS.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:25 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
You also want to read the listing contract carefully so that you understand the service you will and will not be provided, as well as the cost of all additional services.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
We're considering a flat fee listing, but before we plunk the money down, need to be assured it actually gets into the local MLS (eastern NC).

Yes, some are "bare bones" listings, they put the listing in the MLS and you take all the calls, show your own property, etc. You will get representation according to NC law of course. Most have graduated fee schedules starting around $400 and go up from there.

Remember, if you sign up with a flat fee listing service and your listing is in MLS, you are still obligated to pay the cooperating (co-broke) agent who brings the buyer. If the listing agent happens to bring a buyer, he/she will most likely charge the other 3% as well. It is unlikely that your own agent will bring a buyer because they are a listing service, not a traditional service. At least 85% of listings are sold through the MLS system. You have only a slim chance to get a buyer on your own.

Do the math. Flat fee $___.00 plus 3% (approx.) commission to the co-broke = $___.00 or 5% or 6% whatever your full service agent's fee is.

The difference may not be worth it to you to get minimum service.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post

Look up flat rate companies in your area. Go to the local MLS site and you should be able to see their listings on the local site. Only members can post listings so you would know they are a member. Also read the contract carefully and make sure it states which MLS the property will be entered into.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes, some are "bare bones" listings, they put the listing in the MLS and you take all the calls, show your own property, etc. You will get representation according to NC law of course. Most have graduated fee schedules starting around $400 and go up from there.

Remember, if you sign up with a flat fee listing service and your listing is in MLS, you are still obligated to pay the cooperating (co-broke) agent who brings the buyer. If the listing agent happens to bring a buyer, he/she will most likely charge the other 3% as well. It is unlikely that your own agent will bring a buyer because they are a listing service, not a traditional service. At least 85% of listings are sold through the MLS system. You have only a slim chance to get a buyer on your own.

Do the math. Flat fee $___.00 plus 3% (approx.) commission to the co-broke = $___.00 or 5% or 6% whatever your full service agent's fee is.

The difference may not be worth it to you to get minimum service.
Wrong. You the seller can negotiate the commissions paid. What is this "other 3%". Only if someone is gullible enough to go for it. There is no other 3% unless you agree and most of the time the only reason a seller pays that other 3% is because they went hook line and sinker for the default commission structure.

In the MLS listing you can specify the commission paid to the coop agent. It DOES NOT have to be 3%. Try flat fee plus 2% to co-broke. Think no one will show the house? Wrong. Maybe if you are trying to sell swamp in Florida but otherwise there are plenty who will show it and bring in potential buyers.

Asking a RE agent about commissions is like asking a car dealer about car prices.

I routinely look at houses that of all places come from craigslist. Laugh all you want but did you know more and more agents are placing ads for houses on craigslist? Buyers are looking there. Why? Simple and here is how it works:

Buyer engages a buyer agent. Buyer agents sets up buyer in agent's portal. Buyer looks at listings. Guess who controls that portal. Most of the time the buyer agent filters it. Not always but most of the time. Ask yourself, why?

Start looking around through other sources and suddenly you start seeing lots of listings that are active but you never see them. You also see exclusive listings and pocket listing that never hit the MLS.

I routinely check ads on craigslist, then a simple check tells me who the owner is along with all their contact information. I call the listing agent and tell them I want to look and make an appointment to see the house. I tell them right up front I am not represented nor do I want them to represent me, I want the door opened. Only a few times have I had them refuse. When that happened a quick call to the owner solved that little issue and all was well again.

As a seller, you have just as much luck at bringing in your own buyer than relying on REAs. More people find houses by driving around than relying solely on the REA.

That statistic about the percentage of homes sold via the MLS? What you aren't being told is that a buyer driving by your house and then contacting a buyer agent is included in that statistic. But what was the initial point of interest? That buyer driving the neighborhood, not some REA doing a lot of work.

Let me tell you a little secret I saw a seller do with a flat fee agent. They wanted to sell quickly so they made up a magnetic sign with a simple "3 bdrm, 3ba SFR and then the address and contact phone. They put the sign on a rental car door and parked the car on the same street as an open house for a similar property. They got flooded with calls. Nothing anyone can do to stop something like that.

The best ad you have though isn't an agent. It is the curb appeal of your house and the sign in front saying it is available. You can promote your own house for sale easily as effective as a REA and for far less money.

Those open houses? Not for the sellers benefit, they are for the REA's benefit because that is where they do their business. They actually use your house as their office. They won't ever tell you that though. They had out cards like the government prints money.

At most open houses I attend, it is rare that the buyers are accompanied by a REA. Most are buyers on their own. They ask questions and the REA hosting had better answer. If they don't report them to the seller and things change immediately.

As a seller, YOU are taking the risk, you are paying for things, it is your house to sell. Take charge and control and it can very well work out much better for you and at far less expense.

As a buyer, I love to see flat fee listings with a reduced or no commission situation. Why? Because I know that my offer is net to seller and they know it too. It isn't $500,000 - $30,000 in commissions. It is $500,000. Suddenly my offer looks so much better and we both win. I get a better price and you get more net in your pocket.

More and more, the typical sale transaction offer is a boilerplate form that takes a few minutes to complete. Most are easily read and understood and a few bucks to an attorney makes the unclear, clear. The rest of it is phone calls, not anyone driving to a fro talking and making arrangements.

If you think that somehow you are protected by a REA in a transaction remember this: The broker has a legal team (or attorney) and they are there for the broker's benefit, not yours. CYA always comes first. The the Agent is the second beneficiary of that legal protection. Last and least is you the seller or buyer. That legal team or attorney is not bound to represent you no matter what anyone says. You are last in line and don't forget it. For that reason, always get your own.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
In the MLS listing you can specify the commission paid to the coop agent. It DOES NOT have to be 3%. Try flat fee plus 2% to co-broke. Think no one will show the house? Wrong. Maybe if you are trying to sell swamp in Florida but otherwise there are plenty who will show it and bring in potential buyers.
True you do not have to offer the going rate to the buyers agent. If the majority of sellers in your market is offering a certain % and you offer half that amount, what do you think this does for your listing ?

You don't even need to offer $100 if you so desire. You might possibly find a buyer who is paying his Agent a flat fee out of their pocket. Maybe.

What do you think will happen to your home ?

Old 12-18-2012, 02:05 PM

185 posts, read 335,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
True you do not have to offer the going rate to the buyers agent. If the majority of sellers in your market is offering a certain % and you offer half that amount, what do you think this does for your listing ?

You don't even need to offer $100 if you so desire. You might possibly find a buyer who is paying his Agent a flat fee out of their pocket. Maybe.

What do you think will happen to your home ?
So the the question becomes what is the buyer actually buying, a home or compensated companionship? I don't get why an agent wouldn't show a home that a willing and able buyer might want to see if it is in excellent condition, attractively located, and priced right (let's just assumed these variable are true for argument's sake) because the commission structure isn't what's customary to the area.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:46 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
In my area, the house will appear on the multiple listing. If the multiple is open for the public to view, then you might get a buyer.

But here is what happens. The flat fee agent will do nothing at all. You get all the work. The selling agents don't want to show your house to buyers for 2 reasons. They dislike the flat fee places because they take away business and they don't want to encourage them. They don't want to get stuck with all the work because the listing agent won't help and you probably do not know how to coax a sale through escrow (and it is a lot of work to get a sale completed).

You are better off to pay an agent. Get a top agent and get the place sold. You pay commission, but you can cut down the number of mortgage payments you will have to pay while you are trying to sell.

Or else go 100% FSBO and do all your own advertising. You are going to end up with all the showing and seller's paperwork, anyway. You'll get a lot more response from Craigslist than you will from the multiple listings. If agents aren't bringing you buyers, then the multiple is fairly worthless to you. So don't pay for it.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:16 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sldream View Post
So the the question becomes what is the buyer actually buying, a home or compensated companionship?
They are buying a service. Most service professionals have an accepted fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate