Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 AM

34,128 posts, read 83,117,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post
We will definitely put that contingency in the contract, but...
I feel uncomfortable offering 240k and waiting for the bank to "correct" the situation.
If you like/want the place... make the best offer that you can justify.
An offer contingent on financing (appraisal) is common.

Quote:
Bottom line, we don't want to get stuck in a place worth much less than we paid for it.
bottom line is that this discussion is about less than the last 10% of a contract.
($20,000 vs $242,000) Keep your head in the game.

Quote:
I guess the problem is that the guy is *adamant* that it is worth 240k...
And if your lender (appraisal) agrees... then all is good.
If the lender/appraisal doesn't... then the seller will be boxed in with any future buyers/offers.
You really can't lose here (if you really want the unit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 AM

225 posts, read 430,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The seller is not going to be able to pull any funny stuff with the appraiser. The appraiser is working for the bank not the seller.
Ok, this was our main concern. We have reasons to believe the seller is being dishonest, such as claiming multiple higher offers that didn't work out, claiming 100k or renovations (there's NO way, my dad does renovations and I have an idea of what it costs to put in a new kitchen), so we were just feeling uneasy about relying on the bank appraisal.

Our nightmare scenarios is this:

We pay 240k, with 50k downpayment + closing fees of ~ 10 - 15k. (The place appraises at 240k with the help of the current owner influencing the appraiser).

4 years from now I am offered a permanent job somewhere else and we go to sell, only to find that the place now appraises for 190k, closer to the comparables in the area. We're out the 60k we put in plus agent fees.

Are we being paranoid?

Again, it's not about being too cheap or wanting to force the guy to sell, obviously we can't, it's just that we don't want to get stuck in a bad decision.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,390,522 times
Even if a homeowner puts $100K in upgrades, it doesn't guarantee that he will get the investment back when the home is sold. This is typically referred to as an "over improvement". The owner can ask whatever they want, but the market will only bear so much.

Had a client insist on listing their home almost $100K higher than the average sale price in the same community they lived in and when the home didn't sell in 2 months they blamed me. Not going to make that same mistake twice.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,334,269 times
Not sure how you think the seller can influence the appraiser.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Not sure how you think the seller can influence the appraiser.
Well, it's a human affair -- not saying he's going to bribe the guy, but he's going to be there when the appraisal is done. He claims he has a previous appraisal from a few years ago at 280k.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,390,522 times
An appraisal from a few years ago is worthless today.

Just walk away from this potential nightmare and don't look back.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,376,024 times
I would not put myself in the position of overpaying for a property. Look where it got many homeowners recently.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:36 PM

3,610 posts, read 7,940,406 times
What Captain Bill (and others) said again. You seem to have the idea that, if only the seller saw the results of an official valuation, he would change his mind. It doesn't usually work that way. If it's truly overpriced, the only thing that MAY change his mind is an extended time on the market without a sale.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
What Captain Bill (and others) said again. You seem to have the idea that, if only the seller saw the results of an official valuation, he would change his mind. It doesn't usually work that way. If it's truly overpriced, the only thing that MAY change his mind is an extended time on the market without a sale.

I see, thanks. It has been on the market for 240 days, and he has dropped it 40k. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be enough for today's market. I guess we are going through with the pre-appraisal. We may be overly cautious, but I'd rather be that than reckless... it's practically our entire savings...

Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,857,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's not about the math.

If you need to take a mortgage make your offer contingent on the financing.
Either it comes in at that level or it doesn't.
If it doesn't then you have something to negotiate with.
That sounds good, but, the buyer still has to pay $300-$500 for an appraisal ... and the seller may still be unwilling to move on the price.

It's pretty easy to check the tax appraiser's records in most areas and compile a list of all recent sales in any particular condo complex (or area). When units are in the same building and have consistent floor plans, the difference usually comes down to upgrades. I've made condo offers before that have included a list of comps ... asking that the seller justify their 'higher listing price.' It's amazing how quickly emotion sometimes 'flies out the window' in the face of hard facts. If you want to buy the property at a fair price, help convince the seller of what constitutes a 'fair price' --- and/or save yourself the cost of an appraisal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate