Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:19 AM

317 posts, read 1,090,865 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to buy a house, and I'm getting frustrated.

The listing agent (sellers agent) keeps contacting my bank anytime something is not coming back in the sellers favor, and then directing the bank on how to proceed. She is doing this without my permission, and I think that smells fishy.

The main problem is the apprasial performed by the bank came in low, so she immediately filed two appeals with the bank directly and without discussing with my or my agent first. She sent this appeals in at midnight and did not let us know, so by the time we found out, the appeals were already filed.

Is this wrong, and if so, what can be done? I do not want the seller agent negotiating with my bank, in no small part, they know far too much about me that I do not want shared with the sellers agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
I would have a major issue with both what the seller's agent is doing and if my bank was taking direction or giving out information to anyone other than me or my agent.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 AM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Our contracts have a release in them for the buyer and listing agent to call the lender directly to get non-confidential information such as status updates. So from where I sit, there is nothing unusual about what the agent is doing and it sounds like she is advocating hard for her client, the seller. The listing agent's job is not to advocate for you. So, where is your buyer agent in all of this and why didn't your lender tell you the listing agent was filing an appeal?

The listing agent isn't negotiating with your bank. She is trying to get more money for her seller client, which is her job. She clearly knows the process and is working it for her client.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 AM

317 posts, read 1,090,865 times
The appraiser took great offense to the multiple appeals that went to him, and filed a complaint with the government for undue pressure on appraisers. He also notified my bank of this, and now they are not sure they want to issue the loan because the apprasial process has been tainted.

So, while I don't really care if the listing agent was getting a "status update", her actions she has taken with my lender may have screwed up my loan and cause me to lose the house, which is irritating to say the least.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
The appraiser took great offense to the multiple appeals that went to him, and filed a complaint with the government for undue pressure on appraisers. He also notified my bank of this, and now they are not sure they want to issue the loan because the apprasial process has been tainted.

So, while I don't really care if the listing agent was getting a "status update", her actions she has taken with my lender may have screwed up my loan and cause me to lose the house, which is irritating to say the least.
Appealing appraisals is totally normal. The appraiser needs to grow up and figure out how to deal with aggressive people. The appraiser just needs to stand firm if he feels that he did his job properly. I'm not impressed with your lender either.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Our contracts have a release in them for the buyer and listing agent to call the lender directly to get non-confidential information such as status updates. So from where I sit, there is nothing unusual about what the agent is doing and it sounds like she is advocating hard for her client, the seller. The listing agent's job is not to advocate for you. So, where is your buyer agent in all of this and why didn't your lender tell you the listing agent was filing an appeal?

The listing agent isn't negotiating with your bank. She is trying to get more money for her seller client, which is her job. She clearly knows the process and is working it for her client.
Do you equate "getting a status update" with filing appeals on the appraisal?

And do you think it would be proper for a bank to accept an appeal from anyone other than the person applying for the loan?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

And do you think it would be proper for a bank to accept an appeal from anyone other than the person applying for the loan?
Appraisal is an opinion, and an opinion on the value of the sellers' property, with impact on the sellers' financial status.

An inept appraisal, and they do happen, is material to the transaction. Sellers can be harmed by inept appraisal, and a proactive agent providing accurate information is serving both sides of the transaction, as well as supporting her fiduciary duty to her client.

Of course, the bank should accept the information and consider whether it is more appropriate than that provided in the appraiser's opinion.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Appraisal is an opinion, and an opinion on the value of the sellers' property, with impact on the sellers' financial status.

An inept appraisal, and they do happen, is material to the transaction. Sellers can be harmed by inept appraisal, and a proactive agent providing accurate information is serving both sides of the transaction, as well as supporting her fiduciary duty to her client.
That didn't answer either of my questions.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:

I have no issue with the listing agent's actions. It is her job to advocate for her seller. She is doing that, very aggressively, but she is honoring her fiduciary duty to her client to get them the best price.

I do take a strong issue with the lender's actions. The listing agent is more than welcome to try and file the appeal and in no way shape or form should the lender have filed it because it didn't come from their client.

I am also trying to figure out where the buyer agent is in all of this because they should be all over the listing agent for this.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:44 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
That didn't answer either of my questions.
You asked two questions. The answer to the second question is more interesting than any response to the first.
Clearly, the points in my response answer question #2 in support of the agent's actions.
Yes, the bank should accept the appeal if they want to. That does not mean that the appeal is accurate. The bank needs to make a good decision, however they decide to procede.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate