Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 05:51 PM

3,088 posts, read 8,457,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thession View Post
Your right it is another tool and really doesn't promote buyers give up their rights nor for buyers to seek out their own home inspection. It merely gives them an option to do so based on the report. I wonder how many of you out there have used a previously performed home inspection report to potential buyers. Pretty much the same thing.
This is addressed in question #5 above. Have you had the opportunity to formulate answers to the six questions above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 PM

397 posts, read 614,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thession View Post
Sure, why not. Home Inspectors are generally a helpful bunch. It's our nature to help our clients whether they are sellers or buyers. Making money doing something you love is a big plus. Not to many people can say that.
Assuming both parties benefit. The problem is that I am not convinced the seller benefits from a pre-inspection.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:04 PM

43,432 posts, read 77,376,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The whole move-in certified thing is kind of bunk. One of the inspectors who does my presales did a trial with those signs a couple of years ago. Buyers never clicked on the report or went to the site so he doesn't use the signs or promote the program. Presales aren't supposed to be for buyers to give up their rights. It is just another tool in getting a house ready for sale, just like getting rid of the rose wallpaper and pink carpet is. It should be treated as a tool and not be promoted to buyers as a way to not pay for their own.
Right.
Sellers should consider pre-listing inspections to minimize surprises and shock from the buyer's inspection.

One major advantage for sellers is to be able to investigate and make repairs without the duress of the contract and deadlines looming.
And, in my market, repairs which resolve issues do not have to be disclosed, only defects. Ergo, with an inspection and repairs, the seller can take a lot of conversations right off the table prior to listing.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Right.
Sellers should consider pre-listing inspections to minimize surprises and shock from the buyer's inspection.

One major advantage for sellers is to be able to investigate and make repairs without the duress of the contract and deadlines looming.
And, in my market, repairs which resolve issues do not have to be disclosed, only defects. Ergo, with an inspection and repairs, the seller can take a lot of conversations right off the table prior to listing.
If you inspect post offer, there is a decent possibility that seller will not need to make all repairs (negotiable).

Inspect pre sale and you either have to address all defects or disclose. Doesn't guarantee that buyers will not generate a new and improved "punch list"

Seems like a no brainer...

Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 PM

15,603 posts, read 40,539,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE Skeptic View Post
If you inspect post offer, there is a decent possibility that seller will not need to make all repairs (negotiable).

Inspect pre sale and you either have to address all defects or disclose. Doesn't guarantee that buyers will not generate a new and improved "punch list"

Seems like a no brainer...
It's about stress management. A family with a toddler and baby and a handy husband or wife will have time to do some repairs themselves given a bit of time. With a 30 day close day in which you have to pack and move a family AND get repairs done, it means hiring a contractor for small things that many people can do on their own.

Also, when the buyer requests repairs, at least out here, they are always requested to be done by licensed contractors. Handy sellers can save quite a bit of money by knowing what repairs need to be done. The only con is forced disclosure if they choose not to fix them, but buyers are going to know about the defects anyway. Hoping for an incompetent home inspector isn't a sound strategy.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:46 PM

210 posts, read 577,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
According to your link:

The following questions then arise.
  1. What is the specific definition of "Move In Certified"? A home can have issues and yet be livable and able to be occupied. These issues can be costly to correct as well.
  2. The Standards of Practice used by the various Home Inspection associations, and even State licensing boards, all represent the minimum required inspection criteria for homes. None of the SOP's are detailed and descriptive. Does this program use a different set of inspection requirements that are more detailed and in depth to ensure the home is truly worthy of being advertised as "Move In Certified"?
  3. An inspection is an assessment of a home on a particular day and conditions can change. How long is this "Certification" valid for? Is the Inspector required to come back out for free to re-certify the home on a regular basis if it remains on the market longer than the validity period of the inspection?
  4. During the certification period if the home develops an issue who is responsible for making sure that the report is pulled from distribution, any advertising material is removed from public view and access, and the home is re-certified? How does the "Move In Certified" program monitor this to ensure compliance?
  5. In the buyer's description this statement is found "The inspection has already been paid for by the seller, giving the buyer the option of waiving the inspection contingency, which streamlines the sales process." If the buyer waives their inspection rights, and issues are later found that either developed after the inspection or were missed by the Inspector, then what rights does the buyer have to redress and against who?
  6. The stated purpose of the program is "MoveInCertified homes have been pre-inspected by InterNACHI certified inspectors and the sellers confirm that there are no major systems in need of immediate repair or replacement and no known safety hazards.". Yet on the buyer description page it states "permits the seller to attach repair estimates or paid invoices to the inspection report". What then is the definition of "immediate repair" as there is no need to attach repair estimates if something is not in need of repair?
You have some very valid questions so I asked your questions to Nick Gromicko the president of INTERNACHI, the Home Inspection org. I belong too and the org that is promoting the move-in-certified program.

Thomas, your questions aren't numbered, so I'll answer them in the order asked:

1. MoveInCertified homes have been pre-inspected by InterNACHI certified inspectors and the sellers confirm that there are no major systems in need of immediate repair or replacement and no known safety hazards.

2. No.

3. That day.

4. It would not have to be removed because your report has a date on it. If you did a Move In Certified inspection on a home in 1848, who cares if someone reads it in 2012? The world doesn't destroy all its document after each day.

5. No right. A non-client has "no standing" in court to complain about a report you created for your client. Only your client can complain in court about the work he/she paid you for.

6. The definition of in need of immediate repair is self evident. A furnace that doesn't function now or a roof that is currently leaking is in need of immediate repair.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:16 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,553,522 times
Well, I spent the last few minutes reading this thread. It is interesting.

I am a Florida licensed ASHI Home Inspector.

Not to change the subject , (please forgive me if I am), but in the OP's first post he stated something of the affect that a buyer or RE Agent used a previous H.I. report. No one has commented on that.

In my world, that is wrong for a few reasons.

1) A potential buyer contracted with me and paid me to do an inspection for THEM. After gaining their permission I will also send the report, (or at least a summary, their choice) to their agent. They of course use that information however they choose.......but the report is the property of the potential buyer.

My question is.....how did a different potential buyer get a copy of another potential buyer's report? It was the sole property of the person who contracted and paid for it. My guess is that the two buyers did not know each other and it would not have come from the owner of the report.....so it would have come from either the seller or the Agent. That is wrong. I would have a real issue with that.

2) A report is a snapshot in time. It does little good weeks later. Conditions change.

My Pre-inspection agreement clearly prohibits this. It is unethical. I would think a wise buyer (and any good Agent) would realize that a dated report done by an Home Inspector who you have no knowledge of in terms of competency, etc is of little value.

Respectfully, Frank

Old 09-15-2012, 08:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,497,002 times
faithfulFrank, in Texas the Seller's Disclosure specifically asks the seller if they have received a copy of an inspection report in the past five years, and if the answer is in the affirmative, they are to attach a copy of that report.

If a buyer, the owner of the report, instructed their agent to forward a copy of the entire inspection report to the seller (which is sometimes done as a negotiation tactic), and that deal fell through, the seller would then be required, having received that copy, to attach a copy of that report to the seller's disclosure.

That is how another buyer might receive a copy of the inspection report entirely legally. Trust me, the buyer who originally purchased the report and caused a copy of it to be sent to the seller knew that if the deal fell through the seller would have to disclose it to any future potential buyer - that's part of the entire point of the negotiation technique. So, if you truly believe that the report belongs to the original buyer to do with it as they choose, there is no problem.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:31 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,553,522 times
TexasHorseLady,

Thank you. That is interesting. Procedures vary widely state by state. I suppose a dated report could be of some value, as it would disclose past issues.

As part of my marketing, I place a business sticker on the panelbox of a home after I inspect it. It is small and professional looking. By design I do not put a date on that sticker, as I felt that if there was a date on it and the deal fell through, the next potential buyer may not elect to have an inspection seeing that one was done shortly before....That would be foolish on their part, but it could happen.

My apologies to the OP......although the subject is a bit related to the original topic. Since the OP is also a Florida Inspector, my commenting on "second hand reports" is pertinent.

Frank

Old 09-16-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If a buyer, the owner of the report, instructed their agent to forward a copy of the entire inspection report to the seller (which is sometimes done as a negotiation tactic), and that deal fell through, the seller would then be required, having received that copy, to attach a copy of that report to the seller's disclosure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It's about stress management. A family with a toddler and baby and a handy husband or wife will have time to do some repairs themselves given a bit of time. With a 30 day close day in which you have to pack and move a family AND get repairs done, it means hiring a contractor for small things that many people can do on their own.
Agree the buyer delivering a copy of the inspection report puts the seller on notice. Why would the seller actually pay to do this to themselves by getting a pre-sale inspection?

Don't buy the argument that a pre-inspection makes things less stressful for the seller. First, when they get a copy and realize that they have to repair or disclose everything on the list, your seller may question the calming effect of a pre-insp report. Secondly, in our neck of the woods, the seller often provides cash at closing (towards closing costs) as opposed to repairing defects prior to closing. Thus, the seller is not under the gun to address all agreed upon repairs prior to closing. Furthermore, educated buyers want control over the repair process and will not even want the sellers involved with arranging repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate