Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 AM

34,151 posts, read 83,225,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure that most buyers even know what the difference between 3/4 and full is anymore.
There is truth in that.

The Orwellian distortion of long and well understood common terms and usages...
as well as the flood of "architect speak" in general over the last 10-20 years on TV shows,
magazines, listings, etc has created more confusion than clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,220,925 times
Seems like this is a non-ssue. For starters you are going to look at pictures. I don't remember too many listings that didn't clearly show the bathrooms. And then you are going to actually visit the house. Does it really matter if the listing says full or 3/4?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:46 AM

609 posts, read 2,247,441 times
Sink = 1/4
Toilet = 1/4
Standing shower = 1/4
Full shower = 1/2

It is unlikely you would have 1/4 toilet cause , you can't possibly have a toilet without the sink. It is usually 1/2, 3/4 or full.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,079,000 times
I did a little Googling and the impression I got was that a 1/4 bath has only one fixture in it. That could be a sink, a toilet, a shower stall, or even just a tub.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:35 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,235,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Seems like this is a non-ssue. For starters you are going to look at pictures. I don't remember too many listings that didn't clearly show the bathrooms. And then you are going to actually visit the house. Does it really matter if the listing says full or 3/4?
I don't put pictures of routine bath rooms in my listings, only those with stunning rain forest showers or large jetted whirlpool type tubs. I'm sure you've seen those cramped shots showing the agent in the mirror with the toilet seat up shots - not very attractive!

Old 08-14-2012, 10:53 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
I don't put pictures of routine bath rooms in my listings, only those with stunning rain forest showers or large jetted whirlpool type tubs. I'm sure you've seen those cramped shots showing the agent in the mirror with the toilet seat up shots - not very attractive!
Then that is telling in itself. I just don't think it is a big deal if it say 3/4 or full.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:21 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,466,179 times
In my area, it is very common that there is a toilet in an enclosed room in the basement in older houses, maybe separate from a sink which may be near the laundry. Some people call this a 1/4 bath. Although when we bought the house, it seemed rather pointless, we have found that people working on the house and yard prefer to use that toilet rather than coming upstairs. As there is a lot of work necessary in older homes, it has been surprising to see how useful this has been! Also, an agent told us that the presence of the toilet is important for resale because it shows that there is expensive plumbing already in the partially finished basement, so anyone who wanted to expand it into a full bath and completely finish the basement would have some savings.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,356,003 times
in my area you have only Halfs and fulls, a shower makes it a full bath, not 3/4

my friend has a 1/4 bath I guess, I"m not sure how it was advertised when he bought it. There is a toilet in what is basically a closet sized room in the kitchen, no sink. Kinda sucks, its the only bath on the 1st floor

Old 08-14-2012, 01:46 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,724,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
1/4? Never heard of that.
I had not either, until one of my friends bought a postwar ranch house that had a 1/4 on the main floor. It was honestly a closet with a toilet, but no sink or anything. I could see that if it was off of the garage where there was a utility sink or something, but this one was right off the bedrooms and living room. And to add insult to injury, there was also no fan. It was only one step better than just rolling a port-o-let into a closet.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:10 PM

22,952 posts, read 6,461,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I had not either, until one of my friends bought a postwar ranch house that had a 1/4 on the main floor. It was honestly a closet with a toilet, but no sink or anything. I could see that if it was off of the garage where there was a utility sink or something, but this one was right off the bedrooms and living room. And to add insult to injury, there was also no fan. It was only one step better than just rolling a port-o-let into a closet.
No sink...We had one like that in our basement in an old house when I was a kid. Now I would think
no bathroom would be built without a sink to wash up after you "go"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate