Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 8,025 times

Advertisements

The pet policy in my California HOA is that homeowners can have 2 pets, but only one dog, plus all the other usual rules about being a responsible pet owner. Recently the board has introduced a new dog registration rule. They actual ask more questions on it than the City does when you purchase your license to have a dog. There is no mention of any kind of pet survey or registration in the CC&Rs. How can they implement something that is not in the by-laws or CC&Rs? I also wonder if the rule is not discrimination against dog owners, considering that it does not include anything about cats, bird, reptiles or fish, which are the other pets mentioned in the pet rule. They have recently declared that they will fine homeowner's who do not fill out the Dog Registration form 200 dollars. None of this was voted on by the homeowners.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times
They can ask anything they want but that doesnt mean you have to answer them.

I'm sure they'll try to fine someone for ignoring them and end up getting sued.

Welcome to the world of HOAs!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:05 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Pets and Parking are typically two of the most problematic areas faced by HOA's. People often see their pets as family and often expect everyone else to do likewise.

In most cases, a bylaw ammendment must be ratified by vote of the HOA homeowners, However, HOA's may establish rules and procedures for enforcing existing bylaws, by vote of the HOA board, without a homeowner vote.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
This may also be an insurance company mandated census which is allowed under most HOA documents. Its a widely held misconception that HOA's can not do anything not specifically mentioned in the documents. Usually, there are broad general authority for many items that does not change the CC&R but rather are adminstrative in nature to conform with the CC&Rs.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
I agree with the others who stated that the Board usually doesn't need homeowner approval to add or amend the Rules and Regulations. And they can also implement procedures without homeowner vote -- such as my HOA requiring parking stickers. But I don't know how they can fine you if there's not an official rule in place....but maybe that's covered under some kind of generic fining authority in the Bylaws. However, is it worth bucking the system for this?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:24 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
I wonder what happens if you dont have a dog the day you fill out the form and get a dog the day after.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:42 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Reason # 835 for not wanting to live in an HOA area.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Generally speaking, HOA boards have broad powers relative to rules and regulations.
Factions are common in all HOAs. They tend to become echo chambers and many seem to believe everyone feels the way they do. In reality, owners likely favor the rule or regulation, else there would be a petition or some other majority owner action to communicate a different opinion.

Some Dog owners everywhere have a tendency to not clean up after their dogs and dogs have potential to scare others, cause damage to common areas and make noice. This is not the case with cats, gold fish, birds.

I live in a SF HOA. Almost everyone has a dog. Some have 2-3. There are no rules about pets. Some owners would prefer that the HOA create rules and fines. Most prefer it the way it is. Municipal ordinances take care of barking dogs and owners who do not clean up after their dog.

Having said all this, beyond making certain that each dog has the required vaccinations, I am not sure the purpose of this registration in your community. Why not ask the board about the business objectives they are trying to achieve?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:58 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
We are seeing more and more breed restrictions with HOA's, rental communities and even some smaller villages/towns!

Insurance companies are becoming VERY breed sensitive. Some insurance companies won't carry you if you have certain breeds forcing one into a high risk pool situation.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:46 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
do not buy anything in a HOA.

makes no sense, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, and you have to conform to someone elses rules.

might as well stay in an apartment and let the LL dictate to you.

I just dont get the HOA thing????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate