Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:50 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,044,324 times

Advertisements

I'd be damn if someone told me I could not have more than 1 dog. My two dogs are great together. Now HOAs want registrations? What's next? Do I have to register my children. Will I be fined for having more than 2 kids? These busy body nazis are out of control!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 02:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Reason # 835 for not wanting to live in an HOA area.
My thoughts exactly. My city does require licensing for pets and it limits the number and types you can have, but it's not an unreasonable number. I don't remember how many dogs per property are allowed but many of my neighbors have 3-4 dogs. We're also allowed to keep chickens but not roosters. Seems reasonable to me!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:50 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,558,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Generally speaking, HOA boards have broad powers relative to rules and regulations.
Factions are common in all HOAs. They tend to become echo chambers and many seem to believe everyone feels the way they do. In reality, owners likely favor the rule or regulation, else there would be a petition or some other majority owner action to communicate a different opinion.

Some Dog owners everywhere have a tendency to not clean up after their dogs and dogs have potential to scare others, cause damage to common areas and make noice. This is not the case with cats, gold fish, birds.

I live in a SF HOA. Almost everyone has a dog. Some have 2-3. There are no rules about pets. Some owners would prefer that the HOA create rules and fines. Most prefer it the way it is. Municipal ordinances take care of barking dogs and owners who do not clean up after their dog.

Having said all this, beyond making certain that each dog has the required vaccinations, I am not sure the purpose of this registration in your community. Why not ask the board about the business objectives they are trying to achieve?
I rather deal with dogs than the noise and mess created by kids.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,868,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
We are seeing more and more breed restrictions with HOA's, rental communities and even some smaller villages/towns!

Insurance companies are becoming VERY breed sensitive. Some insurance companies won't carry you if you have certain breeds forcing one into a high risk pool situation.
I negotiate all insurance for my HOA. I put the whole shebang out for bid every three years.

We carry a whopping $25MM in commercial liability insurance. Never, not once, has any broker or underwriter made an inqury about animals. It's not a part of any application. The usual exposure inquiries include sport teams, pools, dive boards, lakes, beaches, alcohol liability, general public and so on.

Personal liability policies do however sometimes inqure about pets.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,868,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
I rather deal with dogs than the noise and mess created by kids.
Me too.

We awoke this morning to find some red penises spray painted on masonry walls in the common area. No clue what this is going to cost to remove. Dogs don't have thumbs and therefore are unable to cause the sort of reckless damage kids do.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:01 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,019,574 times
My insurance for my rentals has breed restrictions. So does my HO. Two different companies.

One dog incident in my state - you are automatically dropped and you have to seek HO through the high risk pool.

Note I say incident. It doesn't have to be a bite. It can be simply a knock down with injury resulting - said injury not necessarily involving dog teeth or claws.

One day I was riding my bicyle down the middle of a quiet street in my old neighborhood. The high rent district of the town.

Out of the corner of my eye I spied a mixed-breed dog sitting on a porch. The next thing I knew that dog had it's mouth wrapped around my ankle and I and my bike were on the pavement.

Do you have any idea what that pain feels like?

I'd rather deal with spraypaint artists, thank you.

Oh... and not a dog hater as I've always had both dogs and cats, but now I spend a good deal of time traveling and just having a cat is easier.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:57 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,217,673 times
I have no problems with HOAs as it usually causes homeowners to keep their yards looking good, not park in the street, etc, which allows property values to be maintained. HOWEVER, I think a HOA telling you that you can only own 1 dog is a bit ridiculous.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:30 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,921,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I have no problems with HOAs as it usually causes homeowners to keep their yards looking good, not park in the street, etc, which allows property values to be maintained. HOWEVER, I think a HOA telling you that you can only own 1 dog is a bit ridiculous.
The only thing one must remember this rule was in affect when the OP purchased into the complex so it should not have been a surprise.

We have a one dog, 30 pound limit rule in our HOA. I brought it up in one of our board meeting to remove the pound limit as we have a Labrador and another board member has a Golden (This is our second home as is his). The issue as it was explained to me there is a percentage of people who are terrified of dogs, especially bigger ones. Considering we have 22 floors, using the elevators is a necessity. It would be very uncomfortable for a person with this fear to ride the elevator with a dog. In originally putting together the Condo Doc's the compromise was made on size. I guess someone who is really uptight about a HOA telling them what size dog they can have, go buy in another complex (if you can find one in this area that is)

Old 08-12-2012, 12:14 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,217,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
The only thing one must remember this rule was in affect when the OP purchased into the complex so it should not have been a surprise.
Agreed...if the OP knew what he was getting into from the beginning, then really it is no fault but his own. I always read the CCRs a few times before deciding whether or not to buy in an area.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,760,342 times
I inquired about a home from a rental agency a few months back since it said there were breed restrictions on what type of dogs were allowed. I have a Great Dane, a gentle giant really. She sent me the list and lo and behold...Great Danes were on the restricted breed for the RENTAL AGENCY, not the homeowner. When I asked she said it was because of his size, not temperament (she disagreed with this because ironically she owned a Dane). Really makes no sense. However, as I was reading down the list, there were the usual breeds such as Pit Bulls, Dobermans, German Shepherds and...Chihuahuas .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate