Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 04:54 PM

777 posts, read 1,342,207 times

Advertisements

We are planning to sell our house in a year to year in a half from now. We were thinking we should play it nicely and have the same people who helped us buy this house, sell this house, so they could profit out of it too. However, their office is nearly an hour away. When we used them to buy a house, it was because my husband worked in the military with one of the agents for a few years; we didn't know they lived so far out until we were signing paperwork to buy this house.

I've heard that it's best to pick a local agent who knows the area... but is there any other reason to pick a local agent? Is it more convenient for the buyer and seller and the agent alike? Do agents care how far they have to drive out of their way to sell a house?

Granted, I've emailed the agent asking her for some information on the market so we would know the best time to sell it from her updates, and she has yet to follow up on an email doing so. Is she not motivated because she lives far? Just busy maybe? How do you agents think in regards to this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:03 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,902,293 times
It completely depends on your market. There are some markets where agents work within a 5 mile radius. In my area, people would laugh if I stayed within 5 miles. There aren't enough buyers and sellers within 5 miles to make it work, not even 10 miles. In my area, most people put a limit at 30-45 minutes away. My area is pretty spread out. That's what I have to do and that's what other successful agents have to do. You have to know the entire metro area to be successful in my area.

Just because the "office" is an hour away, does that mean the agent is an hour away? I don't work from the office, so my office location doesn't mean a thing.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:10 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,950,687 times
The listing agent's job is to educate, market and negotiate.

I am an advocate of using a competent local agent who has first hand knowledge of recently closed sales and active listings, your comps and copmpetition.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:13 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,039,901 times
Local agents know more about what's "hot" in the neighborhood - which specific features of your house would make it sell at a higher or lower price than other houses that seem like good comps. That can help in setting the list price and marketing. Other than that, I don't think an hour drive is too far for an agent to list a property. The bigger issue is that you've sent a couple emails requesting information and haven't had a response. You do want to work with someone that communicates with you.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
It completely depends on your market. There are some markets where agents work within a 5 mile radius. In my area, people would laugh if I stayed within 5 miles. There aren't enough buyers and sellers within 5 miles to make it work, not even 10 miles. In my area, most people put a limit at 30-45 minutes away. My area is pretty spread out. That's what I have to do and that's what other successful agents have to do. You have to know the entire metro area to be successful in my area.

Just because the "office" is an hour away, does that mean the agent is an hour away? I don't work from the office, so my office location doesn't mean a thing.
Yea, she's typically an hour away, but not always, since agents are pretty much always in their cars and meeting up from another house/city. I live in a city next to Phoenix. I'm sure she can find work all over the place out here and wouldn't turn down anyone who wanted to hire her, but it makes me wonder if she'd be less dependable, or something, of that sort. Whereas, if it was a local agent within 5 miles, they can be here in 10 minutes to show the house, and we can be at their office in 10 minutes to sign paperwork and so on.

But I wasn't sure... if she was only working for us because we know the guy she works with, or what.

Also, I have another question, we want to resell this house with the appliances it came with. Would those be added into the value of the home when we sell or does that typically not happen, and we should prepare to sell them?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Local agents know more about what's "hot" in the neighborhood - which specific features of your house would make it sell at a higher or lower price than other houses that seem like good comps. That can help in setting the list price and marketing. Other than that, I don't think an hour drive is too far for an agent to list a property. The bigger issue is that you've sent a couple emails requesting information and haven't had a response. You do want to work with someone that communicates with you.
Absolutely. The lack of communication is probably the main reason I'm thinking I should go for someone more local. I guess I just don't want to hurt their feelings... lol. It's not set in stone or anything that we'll be using them; I just email her cause she did help us buy this house and i figured she wouldn't mind providing me information to prepare a sale. Is it possible she's not responding because of the fact we're not planning to sell for another year? So, she could just be viewing us as less of a priority?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:26 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,039,901 times
She might not even be in the business anymore...or she might be out of town on vacation...or she might be so busy she doesn't have time to respond. I'm not sure which but it's a red flag to me.

I would never ignore a potential client just because they are 1 year from buying/selling. I can't imagine anyone would. That's how our business works, take care of our clients now, keep the comminication and customer service going, and they come back again and again.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:48 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,626,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
Yea, she's typically an hour away, but not always, since agents are pretty much always in their cars and meeting up from another house/city. I live in a city next to Phoenix. I'm sure she can find work all over the place out here and wouldn't turn down anyone who wanted to hire her, but it makes me wonder if she'd be less dependable, or something, of that sort. Whereas, if it was a local agent within 5 miles, they can be here in 10 minutes to show the house, and we can be at their office in 10 minutes to sign paperwork and so on.

But I wasn't sure... if she was only working for us because we know the guy she works with, or what.

Also, I have another question, we want to resell this house with the appliances it came with. Would those be added into the value of the home when we sell or does that typically not happen, and we should prepare to sell them?
You could ask her to refer you to someone more local to you. That way, she would get a referral fee while you get better representation. I live in the East Valley and refer out when contacted by someone buying/selling in the West Valley.

The standard AZ purchase contract requires that the stove and any other built-in appliances remain with the home and are part of the overall purchase price. Refrigerators, washer/dryer are negotiable, but if they stay are also usually part of the overall price.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:10 PM

11,029 posts, read 22,105,738 times
What do you mean by local? I think it's important to get the best local agent. Of course local varies depending on how rural or sprawling your location is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate