Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 01:09 PM

108 posts, read 393,465 times

Advertisements

I looked at a house the other day which could have had some flooring problems. The house was built in 1948 and the floors were carpeted. I noticed when I was walking around that in many areas the floors would squeak. The flooring in a few areas actually did not feel that strong.

I have looked at many houses but this was the first house that I have come across with possible flooring problems. I think that several rooms might need new flooring. The home is about 1,200 square feet. The home is a 3 bedroom and a 1.5 bath.

I think that there also might be some problems with the insulation in the house. When I walked around the house I noticed that it was very hot even though the air conditioning was not on.

If I was to purchase the house then how much should I ask the owner to take off the original price due to possible flooring problems and insulation problems.

The owner is asking 50,000 for the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 02:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,877,205 times
You need a professional home inspector to look it over and tell you what is wrong. You can't get that done until after you have an accepted offer. You need a buyer's agent to draw up the offer so you can get out of it if the repairs cost too much. You can ask the seller to'fix the problems or you can ask for a price reduction to cover it (much preferred b/c you can control the quality of the repairs).

Old 05-18-2012, 02:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times
There is no way anyone on an internet forum can answer your question. You need to bring in a professional to first figure what, if anything needs repairs and then how much those repairs would cost.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,328,216 times
What if the house is really worth $60K and the floor issue has been factored in?

Old 05-18-2012, 03:25 PM

108 posts, read 393,465 times
Floor issue has not been factored in the price.

The owners told me that the house was in good order and there was nothing wrong with the house.

I have not talked to the owners about the flooring or insulation issue.

I kind of have the feeling that this house might be

A Pig with Lipstick

The house looks immaculate but somethings with the home just do not feel right.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:30 PM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Floors squeak. If that bothers you, good luck finding a house where the floors don't squeak.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:36 PM

11,834 posts, read 34,467,731 times
baby powder helps floors not squeak

Old 05-18-2012, 09:12 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,271,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
I looked at a house the other day which could have had some flooring problems. The house was built in 1948 and the floors were carpeted. I noticed when I was walking around that in many areas the floors would squeak. The flooring in a few areas actually did not feel that strong.

I have looked at many houses but this was the first house that I have come across with possible flooring problems. I think that several rooms might need new flooring. The home is about 1,200 square feet. The home is a 3 bedroom and a 1.5 bath.

I think that there also might be some problems with the insulation in the house. When I walked around the house I noticed that it was very hot even though the air conditioning was not on.

If I was to purchase the house then how much should I ask the owner to take off the original price due to possible flooring problems and insulation problems.

The owner is asking 50,000 for the house.
What I would do is make an offer, then if it is accepted, get a home inspection.

If the home inspection report shows there is a PROBLEM, you should get a few quotes to see how much it would cost to remedy the issues, present them to the seller's lawyer, and negotiate from there.

Is there hardwood under the carpet? They could be in poor condition and cause squeaking, a feeling of not being "firm".

There are many reasons why the home may have felt warm even though the air conditioning was on.....is the house empty or are the people living in it? They may not turn the air on until someone is coming to see the house. If it's empty, and your realtor showed up a few minutes before you did, and turned the air on to cool it off, that could be a reason. Does the home have central air or window units? Could be an issue with the outside compressor unit, or the window units aren't large enough to cool off the entire house?

You need a home inspection to determine any/all of this if you aren't sure how to do so on your own.

My house was built in 1999 and my floors squeak in certain areas. No hardwoods under the carpet, just plywood that "gives", even with tongue and groove/glued and nailed down. Drives me nuts. Can't sneak up on a kid who is supposed to be asleep, but is instead reading under the covers or on a iPod touch we forgot to take away before bed time...

We also had to get larger units to cool off the house in the summers. The ones installed just didn't do the job.

Last edited by Informed Info; 05-18-2012 at 09:21 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 11:09 AM

15,587 posts, read 40,480,386 times
The house was built in 1948. I'm not sure I have been in a house of that area that doesn't have floors that creak somewhere. Homes settle over time and wood expands and contracts. I am sure the wood floors that are likely under the carpet are just expanding and contracting normally. So is there something "wrong" because natural forces pull on homes? Not to me, but if you feel that way then don't look at old homes.

Whether or not there is a "problem" with the insulation depends on whether or not the house has some. I've been in homes of that era that don't have any. If you have an accepted offer, find a home inspector with a thermal imager and they can see if you have insulation in the walls or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate