Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:53 PM

41 posts, read 125,894 times

Advertisements

Hey, All

I live in Chappaqua, Westchester County, New York. About 45 minutes north of NYC. Commuter town.

We bought a lovely old Victorian on 4 acres last summer. We love the place.

We love our yard, we use our pool, but we don't really know what to do with our old clay tennis court. At the moment, it is an unused eyesore, right next to the house.

We plan to live here for a loooong time, but, if we will do extensive work to the house/yard, are certainly considering resale value, too.

Some professionals, ie, real estate agents and our general contractor, have told us to get our tennis court redone as a "sports court" as that "excites the market". But, Man, those suckers cost between $50 - 75,000 to install, with maintenance fees.

A gentleman who came by to chop down some hazardous trees is the only person who has told us that he would like to see a lovely garden there, that you can't even tell we have a pool as it is just stuck in the back, behind the old tennis court. Something to connect the house and the pool - a path, some flowers: tranquility.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,400,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissOnion View Post
We plan to live here for a loooong time
Then do what YOU want! It's your home first.

And logically, investing $75,000 in a "sports court" when it's not what you want, and there's no guarantee it would give you a higher resale value? That sounds like a really iffy idea.

Besides, it's a Victorian - and people who love Victorians enough to buy them, also tend to appreciate beautiful gardens.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:26 PM

12,227 posts, read 21,586,727 times
Can you post a picture of the space?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:34 PM

19,469 posts, read 28,029,055 times
Boucethelight is dead on. What "excites the market" today will be antiquated and unwanted in ten or twenty years, just like the tennis court you have now that, no doubt, excited the market when it was built.

Gardens never go out of style, unless they are not taken care of.

Enjoy. Sounds like a lovely home.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:07 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,041,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Then do what YOU want! It's your home first.

And logically, investing $75,000 in a "sports court" when it's not what you want, and there's no guarantee it would give you a higher resale value? That sounds like a really iffy idea.

Besides, it's a Victorian - and people who love Victorians enough to buy them, also tend to appreciate beautiful gardens.
I second this. Aren't people tired of living according to what future potential buyers might like? This isn't a flip it's your home and it sounds lovely. Put in the garden it that's what you want and enjoy it.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 PM

41 posts, read 125,894 times
Thanks, everybody for being such great voices of reason.

We were expats for a really long time - except for a brief (re 18 months) jaunt back in the States 10 years ago, this is our first home. Not really a starter home, and it is a steep ol' learning curve, but we are enjoying the process. It is sometimes hard to figure out the "right" course for remodeling. And, of course, you often get different opinions from builders, interior decorators, real estate agents. etc.

I will try and post a picture when I can figure out how!

Thanks again.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,375,386 times
Another vote for a garden.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,921,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Another vote for a garden.
^ Ditto

Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM

8,101 posts, read 10,152,482 times
Chappaqua......most people moving into this fairly high end community are going to prefer tennis courts over a garden.

I would personally prefer a garden, and don't give a hoot about tennis.

The REAL question is what YOU prefer? YOU answered your own question. "We are going to stay here for a LONG time." For a long time, what do you prefer? Thats the answer to your question. And quite frankly, in Chappaqua, if you get your entire investment back when/if you sell, is $75,000 going to mean anything relative to the price of four acres and a house in this delightful community?

Old 04-06-2012, 03:29 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,277,042 times
I say you cover it with granite and then store stainless steel appliances on top. make sure you put in two sinks as well. Let me think if I missed anything, nope, that seems to be the HGTV checklist du jour

If I were being serious, I would jump on the BounceTheLight bandwagon. If you are going to be there a while, don't worry about what excites the market. Particularly if you are going to be paying maintenance costs for something you are not using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate