Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 PM

50 posts, read 99,234 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to get some suggestions on how to get a waiver from my HOA for 4 cats. I have a couple wanting to put a contract on my condo but are hesitate because of their 4 cats. I'm in the process of putting together an email asking for a waiver. I know there are by laws but its not like the cats make a lot of noise. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Any process for waivers should be defined by your HOA. I suggest checking with the management representative to find out if there is a waiver process and how to do it.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 PM

Thanks.
I'm looking for how someone might have successfully got their waiver approved. Tips and Tricks..

Submit waiver with pending contract? Pending HOA approval?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Ask your realtor. I'm betting that he/she will say don't even sign the contract until AFTER you have the waiver. (and it's unlikely that the condo HOA will give you a waiver because they would then be setting a precedent.)

Sorry - I know that's bad news, but it's reality.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
In the condo by-laws is there a lower limit regarding the number of cats or are no cats allowed period?

Old 04-04-2012, 11:03 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Why would anyone voluntarily move into a place that can tell them if they can have animals or not. No way I would do that.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why would anyone voluntarily move into a place that can tell them if they can have animals or not. No way I would do that.
Plenty of towns have limitations on what/how many animals you can have.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz003 View Post
I'm wanting to get some suggestions on how to get a waiver from my HOA for 4 cats. I have a couple wanting to put a contract on my condo but are hesitate because of their 4 cats. I'm in the process of putting together an email asking for a waiver. I know there are by laws but its not like the cats make a lot of noise. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance..
How large is your HOA? Would it be in their interest to have this sale go through? (Are you getting a good price that would help their property values?) Are you in danger of foreclosure? (They wouldn't want that.) If there is any reason this would benefit the HOA, find it and make it known.

Is the pet policy in the "Rules" or in the CC&Rs?

Are you on good terms with the board members? Have you helped out in the HOA? These are factors, too, but you wouldn't mention them in a letter.

Are the cats old? Are they completely indoor cats? Could the waiver be only for the lifetime of these particular cats, and not for the unit? What is the cat limit?

When DH was selling his house before we got married, he had to deal with this. The HOA said No, but another buyer came along in a week or so.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
How large is your HOA? Would it be in their interest to have this sale go through? (Are you getting a good price that would help their property values?) Are you in danger of foreclosure? (They wouldn't want that.) If there is any reason this would benefit the HOA, find it and make it known.

Is the pet policy in the "Rules" or in the CC&Rs?

Are you on good terms with the board members? Have you helped out in the HOA? These are factors, too, but you wouldn't mention them in a letter.

Are the cats old? Are they completely indoor cats? Could the waiver be only for the lifetime of these particular cats, and not for the unit? What is the cat limit?

When DH was selling his house before we got married, he had to deal with this. The HOA said No, but another buyer came along in a week or so.
I think the sell would help property values.
The cats are completely indoor and will point that out to the HOA. I know at one time a rental property condo had 3 dogs. Someone complained (barking) and they threaten to sue the HOA. She told them they were special dogs.
I'm in ok standards with the HOA but they seem to be in relax mode on upgrades around the complex. Dont worry about until it breaks.....
I also see them enforce the rules on certain people...not all. I had to fight to take down a iron security door that was put up 20-25yrs ago. HOA said they owned it.... I doubt it old lady put it up back in the 60s.
I got a gut feeling that this wont pass and hope sll another buyers comes along....

Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
When an HOA has a rule, presumably a super majority of owners are in favor of that rule, else there would be no rule.

People who prefer to live in pet free enviornments often seek out HOAs that do not permit pets no different than people with pets seeking out HOAs that allow pets.

In my MLS, when an association does not permit pets or limits the number or kind of pets, this information is contained within the listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate