Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 01:34 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,635,757 times

Advertisements

Can someone shed some light on whether it is possible to buy a piece of land and, let's say put a new double-wide on it in one loan? I work from home and my wife and I are wanting to move somewhere rural (no need to live in an expensive city) where we can have 10 acres, a house and a barn. We have looked in some nicer rural areas (mild year-round climate, access to outdoors activities like forests nearby etc.) and have found that homes on acreage are out of reach ($300K+). Our budget is more in the $220Ks and there is acreage for sale in the same areas for about $80-100K asking price (we think we can negotiate it down quite a bit). So, we are considering buying the land and just putting a new double-wide on it - this would fit into our budget. Now, can one finance the purchase of the double-wide and the land in one loan? What are typically the terms on these guys? I have excellent credit (800s) and no bad credit history.

Any info appreciated!
OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 04:12 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,605,546 times
Contact a credit union that is local to the land you seek. My CU does land loans so it is possible. You will need 10 - 20% down payment. Also there is something called the farm credit bureau - maybe they could help?

Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,323,993 times
A manufactured home or a double-wide trailer?

You basically are asking about a construction loan. I'm not sure most CU's will do a construction loan, but smaller commercial banks might do so. You will probably have to have a substantial amount of equity in the finished project.

Construction loans are multi-draw loans. You get X from the bank initially when the first bit of progress is made, Y when some more substantial progress is made, and Z to finish the project. Then the loan morphs into a regular mortgage loan.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:32 AM

198 posts, read 464,903 times
Where are you looking? (I only ask because I live in VT and there are properties available for less than what you want to spend)

Old 03-24-2012, 09:30 PM

526 posts, read 899,520 times
just a reminder; well, septic, power hookup will probably be needed on bare property
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate