Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 PM

10,054 posts, read 18,110,243 times

Advertisements

BBronston, thanks. I am thinking if I am the one talking/negotiating (there's actually not a whole lot to negotiate), then clearly we can talk about him saving lots of money by me not having an agent. But yes, I would definitely have a real estate attorney -- I won't go it alone!

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I appreciate them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:04 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,760,122 times
I only know about Florida but there are a number of things to negotiate in the contract besides just the price. Some directly influence what you will do or pay for, when you'll do it, some deal with what the seller must do and when, and some deal with what you or the seller might have to pay for if something happens along the way. It's not rocket science but, if you are concentrating on the price only, you might miss something important that could cost you later.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 PM

10,054 posts, read 18,110,243 times
Definitely not only negotiating about price.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 PM

9,324 posts, read 14,940,393 times
This is a no brainer. Just have your real estate lawyer do the transaction and do your own negotiations. You keep saying there is little to negotiate at this point.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,327,355 times
Do the rest of the work yourself since there's nothing more to do. Right?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,056,280 times
Hi again Karen! A good real estate agent is worth their weight in gold. I can't tell you how many transactions start out as seemingly "straightforward" and later becoming total cluster F$%#'s. A good agent can keep these transactions together. A good agent will save you money by sharing their experience and know how which will allow you to avoid the pitfalls that other may fall in to. I'm sorry the first agent you dealt with did not meet your expectations, but I'm sure you can find one that will.

Some transactions are easier than others but I consider a good Realtor like an insurance policy. It's better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:37 PM

718 posts, read 2,081,455 times
I am confused. If you saw this house 3x by yourself, sans agent. And you arranged your own financing, home inspection, etc. Why do you feel you need an agent? At this point, you can be given a "no agency" disclosure, represent yourself...do your own negotiations with this broker/owner, agency guru and call it a day. Then, if you don't succeed in successful negotiations and secure the property, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,708,160 times
I dont see any possibility a re broker is going to enter into a contract with an unrepresented buyer, far too much legal liability with no reward. Even if they wanted to, their e&o insurance carrier isn't going to like it.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,708,160 times
If the agent showed the house to you, and you effectively want to take a cut of their commission at the end of the deal, I wouldn't expect a Christmas card.

If you work a deal with the seller and cut the agent out, the broker can expect some grumpiness at the very least.

It smacks of ordering a cheeseburger, eating it, then asking if the restaraunt is "firm" on the price.

Last edited by Marka; 02-03-2012 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: removed quote

Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 PM

455 posts, read 639,549 times
I can't tell if all of these agents really think they are necessary or if it is just some kind of instinctive "defend-your-profession" moment.

At this point, why would you even hire an agent? A good transactional lawyer would be better than a real estate agent anyway at this stage, and it sounds like you are already planning on hiring a lawyer. Real estate agents just fill in blanks on their standard form contracts--they think they are good at it because they do it relatively often, but like I said, a good lawyer can offer you much more sophisticated advice when it comes to drafting the contract. If all that is left is to hammer out the deal terms, what in the world does a real estate agent bring to the table that a lawyer doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate