Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 06:22 PM

281 posts, read 713,146 times

Advertisements

We're soon closing on our first house and I have been curious how much neighboring houses can affect a home's value? I'll be the first to admit the immediate neighbor's house is completely heinous and dilapidated. All the windows are broken, most of the paint has flaked off, the roof is caving in, the siding is falling apart and it even has a warning sign posted on the door reading "warrant served" haha! While I would certainly prefer a nicer looking neighbor, these things don't really bother me, and the other surrounding homes are nice enough. Yet, I can't help but wonder how this might affect the home's value should we ever decide to sell, assuming the neighbors house is still standing. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 06:32 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
We're soon closing on our first house and I have been curious how much neighboring houses can affect a home's value? I'll be the first to admit the immediate neighbor's house is completely heinous and dilapidated. All the windows are broken, most of the paint has flaked off, the roof is caving in, the siding is falling apart and it even has a warning sign posted on the door reading "warrant served" haha! While I would certainly prefer a nicer looking neighbor, these things don't really bother me, and the other surrounding homes are nice enough. Yet, I can't help but wonder how this might affect the home's value should we ever decide to sell, assuming the neighbors house is still standing. Thoughts?
Just how much is hard to say. You won't get top dollar if you resell with a neighbor like that. By your description the biggest concern is the roof caving in. As an investor I might be afraid of that. If sounds as though the current owner is on their way out which is a good thing. Someone may want to fix it up or tear it down for the right price. Not much you can really do since you are about to close anyhow. Time will tell.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
I assume you bought cheap in what sounds like a cheap neighborhood so maybe you got what you deserve/can afford.

You have not even closed and already you are complaining about the location/neighbors. I do not think you will be happy there.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:54 PM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I think a "bad neighbor" or "slob neighbor" can REALLY hurt the value of your home. I saw a house sit on the market for over three years and it HAD TO BE because of the neighbor. It was a standard house, two story- probably two br up, master down....standard "McHouse". There were two problems with it. The railroad tracks were nearby but more importantly it was right next door to a run down trailer that was owned by a "collector". You know the type- 10 to 15 junk cars in the yard, crap lying everywhere, chickens and roosters running around, you name it.

I don't know who finally bought the house but they had better have gotten a steal on it. There would be NO WAY I would willingly move into a home next to a slob like that let alone so close to the railroad tracks....

Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Well, how did it effect your offer?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:19 PM

Although I used this house as an example, my question was aimed more at how neighboring homes can affect prices in general. We're very happy with our particular choice!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
Although I used this house as an example, my question was aimed more at how neighboring homes can affect prices in general. We're very happy with our particular choice!
Enjoy.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Enjoy.
Sassy!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
You can only hope that the house will have changed hands, and improved, by the time you want to sell your house. But, there is a lot we can't control about our neighborhoods. You might love your neighbors now, but they can sell and not always to people you approve of or who have property values in mind.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:01 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
One thing I always said is when you are looking for a new house and see one you like, stand at the front door, look around, Do you like what you see? if not, then don't buy it.

If I looked around and saw my next door neighbors house was a mess, no I would not buy it.
That would become a problem, if you don't like it and you don't live there, you will hate it even more when you move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate