Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,745,593 times

Advertisements

In the State of South Carolina is it possible for an HOA to file a lien on a deed for unpaid HOA dues without the use of an attorney?

I have posted this other places, but also asking here.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,963,688 times
Yes. You don't need an attorney to file a lien. The paperwork is at the county courthouse. Anyone can file one.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:46 AM

63,917 posts, read 47,195,018 times
In almost all cases, HOA leins are subordinate to the first mortgage.

Your HOA may want to buy a few hours of HOA attorney time to understand its rights and exposures in your state.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:31 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,955,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In almost all cases, HOA leins are subordinate to the first mortgage.

Your HOA may want to buy a few hours of HOA attorney time to understand its rights and exposures in your state.
Good answer however there is one thing that needs to be added; in today's world generally when people stop paying HOA dues they also have stopped paying their mortgage. The banks are sometimes spending YEARS going to foreclosure, the HOA must look at each case and make a decision if it might be advantageous to do a foreclosure and rent out the property to recoup some of the back HOA fees.
As MAM mentioned, one must look at the laws of each specific state and I would strongly recommend consulting an attorney. Our HOA has foreclosed on a particular unit and now rented it out for almost two years as the bank holding the mortgage has failed to act. A couple of others we have decided not to proceed as they left in disrepair and cost too much to put back into rental condition.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:01 PM

3,489 posts, read 4,531,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Yes. You don't need an attorney to file a lien. The paperwork is at the county courthouse. Anyone can file one.
FalconheadWest are you an attorney licensed in SC or anywhere else?

Your statement isn't even correct in this state. In fact preparing and filing such a lien on behalf of the HOA corporation is the practice of law in Texas and HOA management companies have been engaged in the unauthorized practice of law for many years.

The situation was so bad here that the legislature created a new statute expressly directed towards HOA liens - not to change the law but rather to provide notice to HOA management companies that they were engaging in the unauthorized practice of law.

It would be entertaining to watch an HOA board member be charged and prosecuted for the unauthorized practice of law - especially for the owner targeted by the lien.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
FalconheadWest are you an attorney licensed in SC or anywhere else?

Your statement isn't even correct in this state. In fact preparing and filing such a lien on behalf of the HOA corporation is the practice of law in Texas and HOA management companies have been engaged in the unauthorized practice of law for many years.

The situation was so bad here that the legislature created a new statute expressly directed towards HOA liens - not to change the law but rather to provide notice to HOA management companies that they were engaging in the unauthorized practice of law.

It would be entertaining to watch an HOA board member be charged and prosecuted for the unauthorized practice of law - especially for the owner targeted by the lien.

IC

I did specifically ask about the state of SC, not the state of Texas.

The country recently sent the latest notable Texan back to Texas....can we say welcome home Governor Perry......LOL

Old 01-20-2012, 07:46 PM

63,917 posts, read 47,195,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Good answer however there is one thing that needs to be added; in today's world generally when people stop paying HOA dues they also have stopped paying their mortgage. The banks are sometimes spending YEARS going to foreclosure, the HOA must look at each case and make a decision if it might be advantageous to do a foreclosure and rent out the property to recoup some of the back HOA fees.
As MAM mentioned, one must look at the laws of each specific state and I would strongly recommend consulting an attorney. Our HOA has foreclosed on a particular unit and now rented it out for almost two years as the bank holding the mortgage has failed to act. A couple of others we have decided not to proceed as they left in disrepair and cost too much to put back into rental condition.
In my state, an HOA can obtain a judgment to evict the owners and then typically the HOA rents out the place to cover past due and current assessments. I am aware of several condo associations with substantial assessments who are doing this to protect the interests of all homeowner members.

I have read about the occasional HOA foreclosing which makes no sense to me unless there is equity in the place. Speculation on my part, that the HOA would be on the hook for the first mortgage if there was no equity.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:30 PM

43,648 posts, read 77,976,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In my state, an HOA can obtain a judgment to evict the owners and then typically the HOA rents out the place to cover past due and current assessments. I am aware of several condo associations with substantial assessments who are doing this to protect the interests of all homeowner members.

I have read about the occasional HOA foreclosing which makes no sense to me unless there is equity in the place. Speculation on my part, that the HOA would be on the hook for the first mortgage if there was no equity.
We had a local HOA take a house where the dues were in arrears, and no equity.
The neighborhood was then stuck with the debt/payment, maintenance, dues, on a home they could not sell, and it splattered on the news.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-20-2012 at 08:39 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 10:31 PM

3,489 posts, read 4,531,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
IC

I did specifically ask about the state of SC, not the state of Texas.

The country recently sent the latest notable Texan back to Texas....can we say welcome home Governor Perry......LOL
I know you were asking about SC. That's why I rebutted FalconheadWest's remarks - because they weren't even true in Texas where FW apparently hailed from.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 AM

Mom and Mike

We are an HOA with 120 patio homes with literally no amenities so not a complex logistic nor budget situation. Our budget is sound but as with many HOA's we have few no pays (foreclosure, in estate due to a death, etc.) and some late pays. We have no interest nor desire to foreclose, own units, rent units, etc. We are simply exploring how we might "politely encourage" some late payers to get caught up.

We are an HOA that says let us see how we can make that happen versus one that says let us see how we can deny that.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate