Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:19 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,918,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
another analogy...
the car is found not too far from the roadside, if it still has a tag then it's long expired,
the doors are open and the glass is probably broken, vines are growing up through the floor...

would it appear that the rightful owner, or anyone else who might have a claim on the title,
has a continuing interest in that property?

hth
In order to LEGALLY dispose of the car, you have to prove (or fake) ownership.

We rented a house in detroit. Part of our rental property was a small garage. We had several things that we wanted to store in that garage except there was a small car that was abandoned by the previous tenant.

The landlord was trying to locate the former tenant to have her remove her car. After 3 months, DH told the landlord he would just get rid of it himself.

It just so happens we used to own the same model car but our car had been totalled in an accident. DH still possess the title of that wrecked car.

So he called a junk yard and asked them to take the car in exchange for the $35 or so.

When the driver came he compared the title to the VIN of the car and of course they did not match. He agreed to take the car but he would not pay the $35. We didn't care since we just wanted to be rid of the car.

But the point is.... WE STILL HAD TO PROVE OWNERSHIP OF THE CAR. Not that it was covered with 2 inches of dust, had 4 flat tires, an expired plate, and of course did not run....

We still was asked to prove ownership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 11:53 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,173,022 times
I had a squatter in one of my rental properties. He was a friend of the guy I leased the property to. The guy I leased the house to took off (which I had a feeling was going to happen since he was late with the rent) So I went over and checked out the property. There was damage of course. I locked up the house and left. The neighbor called me and said he saw a guy going in the back door. I called the police and they went in the house. The squatter was there. He showed them mail he started receiving at the house. In MI, I am told this is the loop hole. He established residency. This guy was not on a lease, I had no idea who the hell he was. I was pissed. So I had to go through the motions of evicting him. I went through all that and thought it was a done deal. Neighbor calls me again to say that he saw someone going in the backdoor again. I was shocked because I had changed the locks. I went over and no one was in the house but there was a pillow, blanket and some very dirty clothing on the floor. Locked up the house again and told the neighbor if he sees anything suspicious call me asap. So a day later I get the call. I met the cops there. The squatter had worked for a locksmith and he had a special tool that opens locks. Nice huh? The guy was mentally impaired so the cops cut him a break. They told him if he ever shows up again, he will be arrested for trespassing. He never showed up again. Now if I hadn't had a diligent neighbor, that guy could have been in there a long time. He only came back to the house at dusk and left early morning. My point is, yes it can happen especially in Detroit. It takes forever for the city the look into delinquent properties and neighbors tend to mind their own business.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:51 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,712,030 times
Since squatting a a version of adverse possession, all you need to do is understand the laws on adverse possession and apply them when calling the police. My uncles (in real estate development) has many vacant properties but never had any problem with getting the police to arrest a person for tresspassing because he knows the key elements that changed it from criminal tresspassing to civil actions such as a claim of squatters rights or tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate