Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 03:02 PM

572 posts, read 1,298,790 times

Advertisements

We just bought a house in FL that has an HOA. Today is the HOA meeting, but the meeting is at a really bad time, and right now my husband is deployed/TDY and I can't attend. What happens at these meetings? Are they mandatory? Am I going to get some kind of ticket for not going? It's at 4:00 PM, and my church is at 4:30 PM, and I really can't be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 03:50 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
We just bought a house in FL that has an HOA. Today is the HOA meeting, but the meeting is at a really bad time, and right now my husband is deployed/TDY and I can't attend. What happens at these meetings?
In my experience it's usually an opportunity for neighbors to gather together in a semi structured manner to complain about each other in a public forum. If you have no bones to pick with anyone they can be quite entertaining.

Quote:
Are they mandatory?
Not in the slightest. As I stated above if you're hard up for entertainment they are actually pretty funny. Sometimes there is valid information provided about the HOA like their budget and what they are spending money on.

Quote:
Am I going to get some kind of ticket for not going? It's at 4:00 PM, and my church is at 4:30 PM, and I really can't be there.
Breathe..... . No tickets or fines will be issued. You'll be fine. Watch your mail or check out the HOA website for a recap of the meeting. There is a secretary that is supposed to take minutes and they should be posted for all to view.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't even know this about meetings do you have any idea about what the rules are?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:24 PM

572 posts, read 1,298,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't even know this about meetings do you have any idea about what the rules are?
We got a 20 page booklet about the rules...

Old 09-24-2011, 06:50 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:

Have you read it?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:03 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
I don't mean to be rude, but You really should have read it before you bought the house. I'm a fan of HOA's but I DO understand why others hate them. Some things that are often included in your 'rule book' (the CC&R's):
  • The hours you are allowed to put out your trashcan, and when it must be put away. And Where you are allowed to store it.
  • What kinds of plants, shrubs and flowers are allowed in your front yard.
  • No dead or under repair vehicles.
  • How many AND what type of pet you can own (dog breed restrictions are becoming more common).
  • What color you can paint your house.
  • Commercial vehicles may not be allowed in the driveway overnight.
  • No boat or RV parking.
  • Awnings and basketball hoops must be approved.
  • How large a flag you can fly in front of your house.
  • The type of business you can operate out of your home.

So, let's take this to an extreme. You and your husband bought the house so he can run a small auto repair business in your garage. He plans on parking his van, which has signage advertising his business, in the driveway every night. You plan on storing your RV on the side of the house. You own four large digs, and plan on opening a dog breeding business, and want to put a 20 foot flagpole in front of your house, near the basketball hoop for nightly pick up games. You're dreaming about planting roses because they will look so pretty and different from the desert landscaping everyone else has. Oh yeah - eventually, you thought you would paint the house light purple so it really stands out in the neighborhood.

Sounds extreme. Yes, it is. But I've had each and everyone of those scenarios occur in HOA subdivisions. And I was relieved when the HOA stepped in and said NO.

MOST importantly, some HOA's have restrictions on you renting the home. This can be critical should you ever need to rent the home.

Thank you and your husband for your service to our country. And, after you and he have read the CC&R's, let us know if you have questions. Congratulations and many happy years in your new home.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 09-25-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 09:07 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,022,504 times
I think god can forgive you for missing one day of church. Even he knows HOA's have to much power.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
Attending one (or a few) HOA meetings will give you a very good indication if it is well run, whether there is significant dissention, etc. (Although you should have made an effort to find this out before buying).

If you DON'T attend you should be sure to read the minutes, etc. to at least be aware of any emerging issues. And have a look at the budget to see if things are strained.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:09 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
Quote:
What happens at these meetings? Are they mandatory?
Congrats on your new home! And relax about not attending the HOA meeting.

Complaints and questions are raised and decisions may be made at HOA meetings. No, you are absolutely not required to attend -- unless there's something in your HOA rules that makes it mandatory (and, if so, yours would be the only HOA ever for that).

Most homeowners NEVER attend an HOA meeting. I havent attended my HOA meetings in years. (Yes, I know I have no reason to complain about any new rules if I dont attend.)

Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,835 times
yeh you want to be careful about flags .. the HOAs will try and stop you from flying an American flag or your service flag .. they do tend to be a bit UN American that way

yup and the citizen/homeowner always seems to lose to the HOAs so please be very careful about doing anything American like flying your country's Flag ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate