Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tools or services I use to help the buyer choose the right home.
Wish Lists 4 44.44%
Buyer Home Rating Systems for a due diligence approach 4 44.44%
Emotional Approach 2 22.22%
Internet 5 55.56%
Touring homes until I'm exausted 1 11.11%
MLS 5 55.56%
Process of elimination 4 44.44%
Prayer 0 0%
I know what the buyer wants 0 0%
Seat of my pants 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:01 AM

412 posts, read 1,030,242 times

Advertisements

With so many homes on the market I'm curious on how the buyers are making their home choices?

What tools or systems are you providing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 06:30 AM

404 posts, read 714,896 times
As a potential buyer, I've only looking for homes on the internet. Finding homes in a price range, and areas where I am willing to move. The only research I have done on realtors and agents is in this forum. I've spoken to a couple of agents and they seem nice. I would tend to go with a male senior citizen over the young go getter.

I guess I should spend time looking at different types of agents, like a buyers agent and sellers agent. I have a feeling I would get better serive if the commission isn't being spread around between agents, and since I am mainly looking in the MLS, I don;t need an agent to find a house for me.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepizzaguy View Post
As a potential buyer, I've only looking for homes on the internet. Finding homes in a price range, and areas where I am willing to move. The only research I have done on realtors and agents is in this forum. I've spoken to a couple of agents and they seem nice. I would tend to go with a male senior citizen over the young go getter.

I guess I should spend time looking at different types of agents, like a buyers agent and sellers agent. I have a feeling I would get better serive if the commission isn't being spread around between agents, and since I am mainly looking in the MLS, I don;t need an agent to find a house for me.
The Internet is where 80%+ of the initial research starts. This helps to narrow down the search for the homes you may want to check out.

Site's like City-Blog have help so many frustrated buyers and sellers with their game plan.

Best of luck in your agent search and home search!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:10 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,290,950 times
I am also a buyer. I also am using the internet, but I do have an agent. I also am finding price range & neighborhood to narrow the search. The trouble I am having is that there are not very many homes in my price range. Thousands upon thousands of homes for sale in this county, all way over priced.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I am also a buyer. I also am using the internet, but I do have an agent. I also am finding price range & neighborhood to narrow the search. The trouble I am having is that there are not very many homes in my price range. Thousands upon thousands of homes for sale in this county, all way over priced.
Evey, love your quote "Slave to my dog"!

You may have to look up $10-20k above your price range and offer down to meet your price goal.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:34 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,155,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepizzaguy View Post
You seem like a guy that doesn't mind putting in extra legwork to make sure you get the best service and the best deal. And I commend you for that! It seems like alot of people don't want to lift a finger to form their own opinions.

That said, my reccomendation is to find a good buyers agent. The real value in buyers agent isn't just that they can help search for houses for you (though agents have access to a much more pwerful version of the MLS than is available to the public). The Real value is that the buyers agent represents you and only your interests. If you go straight to the listing agent, the listing agent has an obligation to only serve the best interest of the seller, and unless there is a pre-arranged variable commission agreement, you can rule out saving half the commission that would normally go to your buyers agent. The seller's agent keeps it all.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:44 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,290,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmehappy View Post
Evey, love your quote "Slave to my dog"!

You may have to look up $10-20k above your price range and offer down to meet your price goal.
In my market area, based on my income and cash reserves, homes are typically priced well over 50% higher than my price range. I am not looking for the taj majal, I am looking at old, run down, fixer uppers in so-so neighborhoods.

Even the banks who own some of these homes are unwilling to budge off of their list price. And so the homes sit there.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:03 PM

403 posts, read 1,566,925 times
Personally.... I've been house searching as well and have almost fell into the brand new house syndrome. They are beautiful!! But they have NO yards and the neighbors are RIGHT THERE!! I would rather buy an older house with a yard and space. At least I know it's stood up against the elements!!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
Personally.... I've been house searching as well and have almost fell into the brand new house syndrome. They are beautiful!! But they have NO yards and the neighbors are RIGHT THERE!! I would rather buy an older house with a yard and space. At least I know it's stood up against the elements!!
Ahh, the no yard syndrome. With the cost of land getting crazy and the regulations being put on the developer by municipalities and state regulators the yards of the future are becoming smaller.

NIMBY and land cost, is forcing the developers into creating higher density sub-divisions while provide storm water run off areas, keeping the new home away from existing home owners lot lines, etc. This has created more green space which we all enjoy, but in turn our piece of heaven has been condensed into smaller portions.

The good part, less lawn to mow, and more time to enjoy our small yards!

Last edited by Zmehappy; 08-19-2007 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: wording
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate