Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:29 AM

15 posts, read 69,608 times

Advertisements

Just an update: My realtor said for a non-MLS house, he needs to negotiate with the seller for the commission. Then there are lots of room for commission negotiation. It can be anywhere below 3%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 09:30 AM

Just curious why all the previous replies have been removed.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:06 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,227,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToEdenPrairie View Post
Just curious why all the previous replies have been removed.

They ain't...look down a little further...duplicate thread...likely a webbie will fix when noticed .

Old 05-24-2007, 08:38 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,152,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToEdenPrairie View Post
I am working with an agent to buy a house. The contract says the agent commission will be ??% (based on the MLS listing) of the purchase price. I've just come across on my own a house whose listing expired two months ago. The owner is considering the possibility of selling his house without a realtor. If I buy the house directly from the buyer without it being listed again, how should my agent be compensated? If this house is not to be relisted, there will be no buyer's agent commission % per MLS. The agent has not done much for me anyway. I've found all houses online I want to see by myself. He just made appointments to visit them and drove me around.
He "just" made appointments to visit and drove you around??? Do you think he does this for fun? Realtors pay a lot of money to belong to the mls and to use the suprakey that gets you into the house. Plus the gas in his car and his time. Don't you think he deserves a commission? Most Realtors are happy to help their clients purchase a FSBO. They negotiate the commission with the seller, so it's still free to you. Then you get help with negotiating the price, repairs, closing, etc.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:55 PM

942 posts, read 2,585,050 times
I believe if you found the house on your own and called yourself and went to see the house without the realtor and it is for sale by owner NO COMISSION is required. However if he helped you with any of this he should get compensated for his work. His gas, his time, his money. They get paid for working with you. They are not volunteering there services. Check the list.

Found house
Made Apt.
Went to appt.
Negotiated price
Contract

if any of this is a yes than he should get paid.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
He "just" made appointments to visit and drove you around??? Do you think he does this for fun? Realtors pay a lot of money to belong to the mls and to use the suprakey that gets you into the house. Plus the gas in his car and his time. Don't you think he deserves a commission? Most Realtors are happy to help their clients purchase a FSBO. They negotiate the commission with the seller, so it's still free to you. Then you get help with negotiating the price, repairs, closing, etc.
I cannot tell how you got the impression that I do not want my agent to get paid. I believe anyone deserves a compensation for what he actually delivers. It's a matter of how much in this particular case. Don't tell me his gas and time plus "negotiations" (if he can really do it well) are worth 2.7% when house prices are inflated. That's why many realtors offer commission concessions to their clients.

Yes, the commission will be negotiated between the seller and my agent. Yeah, it's free to me!!?? Then you think the seller will pay the commission from his own pockets.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:43 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,327,077 times
Lightbulb Attention Moderator

I hope the moderator will merge this thread with the duplicate one. I think some posters are a little confused. MovingtoEden sees the value in using a GOOD buyer's agent--but isn't getting the service anticipated. (Please see the duplicate thread for the "rest of the story")

Old 05-25-2007, 09:44 AM

Wink Part Deux

We've got duplicate threads going here. If you want the full story, don't read one without the other.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:54 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,227,499 times
Yeah I am with Gretchen. Buyer Broker Agreements are good for agents but not good for buyers.

I was particularly struck by the provision in one shown as an example that said the Buyers Agents could collect any side deals offered in the MLS or otherwise. Does the Buyer know his agent may be picking up 10% on the side for steering him to the right development?

It does not occur to anyone that perhaps a developer willing to pay a 10% commission might be willing to provide an offsetting benefit to the buyer?

Sometimes we are as bad as the public thinks we are...and we do it right out in the open.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:21 AM

Lightbulb just for clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Yeah I am with Gretchen. Buyer Broker Agreements are good for agents but not good for buyers.
Just a clarification, I don't think Buyer Broker Agreements are necessarily bad for the Buyer, they're just bad for the Buyer if they're stuck with a bad agent.

If the Buyer has chosen a proficient, helpful, professional agent, then the BBA is a good thing, guaranteeing the Buyer complete representation. Unfortunately, some less-than-competent agents have used the BBA as a tool to keep clients that would normally walk away.

I would love to see better written BBA's that spell out exactly what services the agent is required to do on behalf of his client, and then have a provision for the Buyer to cancel the BBA if the agent isn't performing per the contract. The good agents have nothing to fear - these are the services they customarily provide anyway. But it might prevent a "lazy" agent from giving the rest of us a black eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals