Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:02 AM

35 posts, read 171,922 times

Advertisements

I was recently told by an Allan Tate realtor that Allan Tate does not allow their agents to negotiate realtor fees and that they had no choice but to charge 6%, even if we bought and sold with the agent.

Can anyone else confirm that this is true, and if so, should we expect to be able to find anyone in this area that will negotiate rates or is it pretty much the norm to have fixed non-negotiable rates?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 10:04 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinunix View Post
I was recently told by an Allan Tate realtor that Allan Tate does not allow their agents to negotiate realtor fees and that they had no choice but to charge 6%, even if we bought and sold with the agent.

Can anyone else confirm that this is true, and if so, should we expect to be able to find anyone in this area that will negotiate rates or is it pretty much the norm to have fixed non-negotiable rates?

Thanks
I know Allen Tate agents are not allowed to negotiate - maybe one of the agents here could elaborate. But I also know some agents are allowed to do that, for some reason I'm thinking Remax is one.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:06 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,594 times
There are a couple of Allen Tate Realtors on here that should be able to answer that for you. This is not the first time I have heard this so it maybe true.

You can find your Flat Rate Brokers out there. Just make sure you shop around and you get the correct marketing etc.

Good Luck!

Old 04-07-2007, 10:07 AM

193 posts, read 245,400 times
Totally untrue. My parents have sold 4 homes through a friend at Allen Tate and they have never paid 6%. Of course he may have cut the rate because (a) he's a friend, (b) the homes all sold quickly, and (c) my folks have provided him with repeat business.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:09 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
Totally untrue. My parents have sold 4 homes through a friend at Allen Tate and they have never paid 6%. Of course he may have cut the rate because (a) he's a friend, (b) the homes all sold quickly, and (c) my folks have provided him with repeat business.
Okay, now I hope a Tate agent does show up to address this, because the ones I know and the experiences I've had with them, my info has always been that they cannot do this.

Perhaps your parents friend has just been doing them a favor under the table or something?

Old 04-07-2007, 10:10 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,768,687 times
I'm an Associate with RE/MAX here in Charlotte.

If you are an Associate and work as a independent than we can negotiate most anything.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:11 AM

193 posts, read 245,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, now I hope a Tate agent does show up to address this, because the ones I know and the experiences I've had with them, my info has always been that they cannot do this.

Perhaps your parents friend has just been doing them a favor under the table or something?
That could very well be the case. I forgot to mention that (d) he also acted as their buyer's agent when they bought new homes so he made plenty of money off of my parents.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,420 times
Quote:

Thanks
Ok, here's the skinny: I was told that as well...apparently that is the "official line" they MUST use when asked....because you know EVERYONE would ask to negotiate if word got out you could negotiate.

However, I do know of two agents who DID negotiate their rates. They just can't make this common knowledge!!

"Rules" can always be bent of agents WANT to bend them!!

Old 04-07-2007, 01:23 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,951 times
Thanks for the info, all! We will look to negotiate as 6% is quite high.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:54 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:

Thanks
I can't answer your question but i will tell you
Most realtors around my area in NJ (big and small )are at 5% with the exception being foxtons
which was at 3 ,but i have been seing alot of theirs at 4% (i guess they were not getting enough realtors showing their listings .Or they are only keeping 1% and giving 2% to cooperating brokers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals