Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 04:05 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,906 times

Advertisements

I have a question that is in reference to owning a home and responsibilities. I have never owned a home. I however, rent an apartment which is actually not a "real" apartment. There is one other attachement underneath mine. I have been an excellent tenant and have been here a year. I pay $525 per month. The apartment has a sinking tile ceiling with water stains and cracks everywhere. The tiles are coming apart in the ceiling and in the closet ceiling. There are also holes in the ceiling. I have asked the landlords to fix, but they never get around to it. I have limited income, so it is difficult to just move. I now believe there is a mold problem and I have been having a lot of sinus infections etc. The house is old and was built in 1953 (I checked online on the clerk of courts). The kitchen does not have a stove and the bathroom tiles are peeling in addition to holes near the toilet area and under the sink. I also do not have an air conditioner in the kitchen and it is god awful hot and humid. I complained finally to code enforcement, because I feel I am in an unsafe place. I also sent about twenty photos to show them. Do the home owners have to maintain the premises even if I am on an oral lease? I have all rent receipts. The guys apartment below mine is even worse and has unpainted walls. The thing that is strange to me, is that the owners house, which I have seen five or six times when I go to pay rent, is delapidated, holes in various walls, bare cement floors. They both are on disability, but the husband is actally a real estate agent. They claim they do not have money to fix anything, yet they buy a lot of cars and just bought another house. Can anything be done? I am a bit angry about paying this amount of rent and I am trying to move, but I am fed up with this situation and they would not even lower my rent at all.

Last edited by Artsywoman; 03-16-2009 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 06:59 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
Quote:
If you do not have an attorney, call The Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-342-8011, or the local lawyer referral service or legal aid office listed in the yellow pages of your telephone book.
Consumer Tip: RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF TENANTS AND LANDLORDS
They are, I believe, in violation of the Florida statutes. You need the assistance of an attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals