Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 01:04 PM

12 posts, read 50,611 times

Advertisements

Alright I need someone to tell me what's up and if you are a broker you should pm me if this sounds doable.

I am getting out of the Military in August and moving to Phoenix/Tempe to attend ASU. I am looking at getting a condo for about 70k and trying to figure out if this is possible.

The payments are not what concerns me as I will be getting $1100 stipend/month from the new GI Bill for housing in addition to money for tution. What concerns me if qualifying.

I would assume as I would play on buying it while I am still in the Military - June-July time frame I would be able to use my paystubs from then. The Gross pay for that time is about $2300/month as housing is provided for me now.

I have a $327 car payment with 6k left on the loan.

I know credit scores aren't important for VA loans, but my middle score is/will be about 650-675.

Can I qualify for a VA loan??

Can I qualify for another loan???

When should I apply??

Do you want to be my broker??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 03:24 PM

634 posts, read 1,560,379 times
AZSANDSHARK- This is what you need to do:
1.You need to get your DD214.
2.Go to the VA website and get VA housing certificate.
3.Then you go to a mortgage lender, tell them you want to buy a house, they will tell you your interest rate and how much house you can afford.
4. Get a pre-qualifaction letter from your lender
5. Call a Realtor and take your pre qualifcation letter with you
6. Go house shopping for a house in your price range

That's it! VA will not pay for closing costs and other restrictions, that your Mortgage lender or Realtor will explain.

PS Thank you for serving your country! We appreciate you.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:27 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,992,527 times
I retired from the USAF last summer and learned you need to buy before you get out. Otherwise you will be unemployed and it is hard to get any loan. They like to see two years of employment. If you get out then buy they will only figure in your GI bill income and that will be hard to qualify you for 70K.

Credit scores are still very important with VA. I have lots of soldiers her at Ft. Bragg that can not get VA loans with bad credit. Your scores should be OK (i think)

Old 02-08-2009, 06:02 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,845,025 times
Call the Navy Federal. In my 9 years in real estate, no mortgage broker or bank has ever been able to beat the rates and fees of the Navy Federal for VA loans. They'll be able to answer all your questions for you, but you have to have the VA certificate, and sometimes that can take months to get, so get it now!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:10 PM

I'd have to second what Falconhead said. I have heard nothing but good things about Navy Fed. We just had our first branch open here in town this fall and I will be talking to them about "MY" next home purchase.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:20 AM

634 posts, read 1,560,379 times
I want to ad that one advantage to the VA loan is that if you do not have the cash to put 5% down you will not have to pay MIP which can be $100 or more a month. I just closed a va this week and they are great for vets, go to a lender you like because you will be establishing a relationship with them.

I am not sure about the lender with no fees like FreeVAloan has said. They may get their money by charging more in interest (like a quarter to half point) which could ad up to a lot of money.

Last edited by EllenArlingtonPark; 03-14-2009 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-14-2009, 03:59 PM

10,986 posts, read 22,023,844 times
The post is over a month old and it looks the OP has checked out. However, for future readers, I'd suggest saving your first VA for you second home that you think will be a long term home. Get a first time buyer loan or FHA for the first one.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:22 PM

Brandon,

I'm interested in why you suggest that? I've have had two VA loans and will be getting a third in a few months. I will have loan number 2 and 3 at the same time. I'm renting out house number 2 because it would not sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals