Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:05 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,488,465 times

Advertisements

my husband and i are about 6 months out from moving back home. we're going home next month and would like to look at a few houses while there. if we find something we love, we'd put an offer in and try to work out something in regards to the time remaining until we move.

however, we're also considering building. and, we may not buy if/when we do until april or may.

so, do we have the listing agents show us houses (and tell them we're not ready to get an agent yet) or do i call buyer's agents, chat/interview over the phone and ask them to line up houses for us to see when we're home? what if we don't buy? what if we don't mesh in person? i just don't want to waste anyone's time.

thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,846,339 times
I would get the buyers agent rather than the listing agent. Why? if you find that "perfect" house, you will want to be represented. also, you have a better chance of YOUR agent helping you find the best place for you, whether the home or the land and builder to build new.

Do some interviewing over the phone, have your questions ready and then tell them a little aobut you and your situation. Most agents are more than happy to help you in this situation. It is the cost of doing business.

Good Luck and let us know if you need more help.

shelly

Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,431,297 times
I've also been successfully interviewed via email, or a combination of phone and email. But, yes, you should pick a buyer's agent who represents your interests - the listing agents, of course, represent the interests of their respective sellers.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,439,138 times
I really have no experience with the "division of labor" in Big D, but I can tell you that if it is anything like Chicago you would be wise to get a referral to some one who is primarily a buyer's agent. In my neck of the woods that means some one that specializes in relocation and has an excellent sense of the general characteristics of neighborhoods as well as the experience to know what sort of offer is fair and will please sellers.

While agents who specialize in having a large number of listing can and often do provide good service, odds are not good that they have a diverse range of listing in all the areas that you may be interested it -- although given the shear number of properties available NOW that is not a particularity important concern. What should be a concern is that any agent that has listing NOW may not have them in 6 months.

SO --

#1 Get a referral, if you have any access to a relocation company, preferably through a co-worker as they tend to have a more similar experience than 'friends'.

#2 Realize that the market may shift quite a bit from NOW to 6 months from now. Whether it shifts up or down you should minimally expect weekly emails from any agent working on your behalf so that you know what conditions "on the ground" are really like.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:06 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,391,151 times
Hey Fisher33, agreed with all the post, you need a buyers agent, and one that will comp out, and show you everything in your comfort zone, and will know the local market. It sounds like you are looking in nc, and all their agents have there brokers liscense. Pending on the market, with enough earnest money tendered, lots of sellers will take a long contract to close and accomadate you. Good luck, and go find a house.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:37 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,488,465 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. We're looking in SC. We have a couple people in mind already to help us; one family friend that I'd prefer not to use as he specialized more in lake property and then two others but each of them are the listing agents for houses that we want to see. So, do we try to find someone completely different? If so, this is frustrating...haha.

What are some "must ask" questions? I know I will want to give him/her an idea of what we're looking for, explain our situation, ask how long they've been in the area, etc., but what else? I'll look up some info too.

Thanks again!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:41 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,846,339 times
is the lake are your friend specialized in very different or far from where you want to purchase? I ask, because if he is a good, solid agent that has been around the block, don't discount him just because he has a speciality. IF, on the other hand, you feel he wouldn't be a good agent for some reason... that he shouldn't be included. I would stay away from the listing agents so there is no conflict of interest.

Shelly

Old 11-18-2008, 01:52 PM

10,967 posts, read 22,000,316 times
Just get a buyers agent.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:54 PM

2,638 posts, read 7,437,874 times
Get your own agent. You want someone to protect YOUR INTRESTS, not someone who wants the seller to get more money.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 PM

153 posts, read 312,683 times
fisher33, you asked about what kind of questions you should ask potential agents.

Since you are in the process of moving, I think communication is essential. How do you expect the agent to keep you informed? Via phone? Text messaging? Email? Interactive website? Talk to them about how they send and receive information. Also ask them about the process of buying in that area. If they say it’s like everywhere else, move on. If you ask about schools or crime, they should refer you to websites or some neutral third party to give you information. My clients have brains and they like to use them. Agents who are too free with their own opinions about such things, usually have little respect for their clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals