Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 04:48 PM

396 posts, read 1,851,106 times

Advertisements

On my first home that I was interested in making a written offer: My buyer's agent shared that he had called the listing agent, made small talk, and fished for information about the sellers. He asked for the price it would take to sell. He told me that this was customary. Yet, he came out of the conversation with nothing. We proceeded to work on the offer the next morning. He had called the listing agent to tell an offer was on the way later in the day. Then we completed the contract in the afternoon, and it was sent. He called the listing agent to tell it was sent, but the listing agent said it wouldn't get reviewed with the seller until the next day or so.

In those communications, I believe he made me look too eager. Also, somewhere along the way, the listing agent may have fished about my price range. (The seller countered back on the high side.)

Is it customary for real estate agents to fish for information from one another before and during the written offer negotiations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 04:54 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
Is it customary for real estate agents to fish for information from one another before and during the written offer negotiations?
Yes, this is customary, or how else do we work in your best interest? We need to get as much information about the other side as possible to get potential motivation. However, with that said, agents should never give information about their client or their client's situation without permission. Hence, the reason why your agent received no information from the listing agent.

Just because the sellers countered high doesn't mean your agent gave them any information. You haven't given us the full story about how long the house was on the market and how the inventory in that area sells. If things sell fast and for top dollar, did you think the sellers were going to give the house away?

Did you go into the situation with realistic expectations?

Old 08-26-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Just because the sellers countered high doesn't mean your agent gave them any information. You haven't given us the full story about how long the house was on the market and how the inventory in that area sells.
I declined their counter offer. My offer was at/above comps and was cash-in-hand with a fast close. (This standard sale property is vacant and has been on the market for almost four months. No change in status ever. Two weeks after declining, this home still sits "For Sale" today at same price). I have moved onto other properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
However, with that said, agents should never give information about their client or their client's situation without permission. Hence, the reason why your agent received no information from the listing agent.
The listing agent has a duty to get the best deal for their client. Therefore, the listing agent probably shouldn't say much or anything about the seller's position to compromise it. That's the part that confused me about why my buyer's agent even tried to fish.

Another reason I'm asking the question in the OP: My buyer's agent should have my best interests also, but there is a little pressure to close a sale... My exclusive rep deal ends in six weeks. Just trying to figure out if my agent is doing the best job for me.

Last edited by Sky-Blue; 08-26-2013 at 05:28 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
In todays fast market I do call to make sure the house has not just gone under contract. Smart agents choose their words wisely and I never solicit or give information that might hurt my clients position.

Many agents have worked with other local agents in the past and calling to just talk about the house hurts neither party.

I have had inexperienced agents say things they should not say. Hope you have chosen an agent wisely.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
In todays fast market I do call to make sure the house has not just gone under contract.
This makes sense. No point in wasting hours on a written offer if the home is essentially off the market.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Nothing out of the ordinary and standard business procedure here.

This is why I like to develop a personal rapport with the seller even though everyone will minimally caution against it and some vehemently...

It's like the child's game of telephone... much is lost when information is relayed... that is why the contract is everything.

As a buyer's agent... I'm sure the agent would respect your instructions if your forbid contact other than presentation.

Remember... two can play the game... your agent can communicate it is a take it or leave offer or just about anything else you see as important.

I've seen deals go bad over a $50 light fixture... where in the begining thousands of dollars were going back and forth with hardly a thought.

Never offer more than you are comfortable... no sense in getting a case of buyer's remorse... it's your money and your offer.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:34 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:

The listing agent has a duty to get the best deal for their client. Therefore, the listing agent probably shouldn't say much or anything about the seller's position to compromise it. That's the part that confused me about why my buyer's agent even tried to fish.
Because in my experience agents dish. Some of the long time agents don't get fiduciary duties as well as the newer trained licensees. At least in my state. They are a wealth of information!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:38 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Yes, they have a duty to their client, but you would be amazed at how much information some agents give up on their client which is the very reason why questions are asked and why we fish for information. I have a deal right now where I know they're moving on Wednesday, so that was easier to leverage some of our requests because who wants to put a house back on the market when they're moving? Other agents will say things like the sellers have already bought a new house, or they found a house they love but can't jump on it without selling this one, etc... all that information helps, and agents shouldn't say these things, but some slip up and do. I'm able to get information from many agents, and other agents are very tight-lipped.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:48 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Because in my experience agents dish. Some of the long time agents don't get fiduciary duties as well as the newer trained licensees. At least in my state. They are a wealth of information!
Right, although many newer agents are a bit clueless too.
I owe it to my client to get whatever a Chatty Cathy wants to dish out.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:55 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
The flip side to this is the listing agent that calls the loan officer with hopes of getting information protected by the Privacy Act. I have the fine art of selling my buyer without saying squat down. What I will do is arm my buyers and their agents with documents and information, that if they choose to release, it's up to them. Although, I never know what direction the listing agent is going to come from.....this past weekend, one agent did not believe I had the specified financing. So, I had to track down a senior VP, traveling on the road, and have them email the agents that the financing, did indeed, exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals